RESCUED FREE RANGE HENS!, sad story to go with it.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Johnn, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    So im really into rescuing hens at the moment and seen a ad for free range hens that would be going to slaughter at 1 in the morning so i today in the afternoon we rang up to get some, we wanted four but changed out mind to six then came back with 8, it was terrible. The woman honestley was so so nice but that didnt change the state that the hens were in. When we were about to go in the shed the woman said to me and my mam "some of the hens hardly have any feathers so be prepared but we will try pick you out some good ones", soon as wel walked in i seen this completley bald little runty hen, i went straight to pick her up the woman said "stop, shes no good, she dosen't look well, she will probablies not lay and will die quickly" so i left her and we got all the hens we wanted and as i was walking out the door i looked back and seen the little bald one standing there, we went to the car and i turned and said to my mam "i want that bald one i am going back for her" so i asked the woman if i could go get her and she said "yes i will come and help you look" we searched the whole shed and i couldn't find her, im so sad, why didnt i just pick her up when i first seen her?!, why?!, i feel so so guilty, i have never felt so bad in my life! [​IMG]
    Heres the girls who got lucky, some screamed when i was catching them in the shed and i just said "you will thank me later"
    [​IMG]

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Johnn... You're a nut. You're a good nut. But you're a nut. Now, go back and find baldy.

And by a nut, I do not mean anything bad. You are just nuts for chickens in need.

3. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    i can't now! :(, i can't get a lift there, i wish i just grabbed her when i had the chance!

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Well, you got some that are going to be able to enjoy retirement at least, and you know you do what you can and not everyone can be saved, but you've saved A LOT.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You are a good person, Johnn. You've done so much for these poor hens already. You are an inspiration. Keep us posted!

6. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    thanks i will wait untill them and the other ex batts are fully recovered and take a group photo, the reason yous cant see the other ex batts is because they are out in the fields somewere, only seen 3 of them when i went!!

7. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    i just cant stop thinking about that bald one, it was so cute i feel like it new i was going to take it to a better place but i couldnt find her! :(

8. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    See if you can go back maybe and look for her again?

9. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    can't :(, mams at work, i cant go back tomorrow because the slaughter wagon is coming at 1am! :'(

10. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Phone them and ask them to keep her for you? I know, I know... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by