1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rescued goose egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gooseegg, Mar 31, 2012.

1. gooseegg

gooseegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    I hatched many duck eggs in my incubator about 5 years ago. After that I had a son and put the incubator up in the attic. There was goose at a local pond. She laid her eggs in the middle of the parking lot. So I kept checking back to make sure she was ok. It had been probably 4 days since my last visit and on the 21st of this month her nest was destroyed. All but one egg. She had abandoned it. So I scooped it up to try and save it. Seeing thats the only thing that could be done. I candled it and it was clear. So on the 21st I put the egg in my incubator at 99.5 degrees and 55 percent humidity and hoped for the best. I have turned it several times a day and sprayed it with water in the mornings. I candled it 4 days ago and saw a little dark spot. Now its day 10. I see a dark spot floating around a little.. and I see a dark liquid matter in the egg.. and I see a pretty good size air sac. The dark spot seems the same size as it was 4 days ago and no blood vessels that I can see. However, my candling light isn't extremely bright. I am wanting to know if this egg might be good? Or if I have to worry about it exploding.. which I read that it could online. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  2. DPC poultry

DPC poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Mt. washington Ky
    after ten days it not sounding very good but i probably wouldnt worry about it exploding, if i were you i would keep the egg in the bator for another ten days and candle it and see if there is any improvement

3. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    If you see liquid that is really dark it is probably rotten, and I would toss it. Goose eggs are really easy to see into so you should be able to see a lot of viening by now.

4. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    I don't know what you mean by dark liquid matter. In my experience, goose eggs are actually not easy to candle, especially Canada goose eggs. Very thick shells on those ones. I find that with goose eggs it's especially clear that there is sort of a bloody area around the embryo and network of veins at first. Hard to explain. Maybe that's the dark liquid matter, if your egg is still good? I'd try to get a better flashlight and see. If it was clear and it changed, that's usually a good sign but that does not mean it is alive still.

5. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I am not very experciened with goose eggs. I have some in the incubator now and to me they seemed easy to candle (since they are white and so large) to me, but maybe some breeds are harder.

6. adrian

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    A lot depends on how you are candling them, too. A lot of people just use a little flashlight and these can be horrible for goose eggs. Also, I've done a few rescued wild geese before, and their eggs tend to be a lot harder to see through. Canada geese have very thick shells. I had less trouble with domestic geese, that's for sure. But you do need the right candler.

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The dark spot might be the yolk. The yolk looks almost black when candling a goose egg. It makes you say "What is that thing?"

My experience is that if the egg is not growing the yolk just floats around and moves easily. If the egg is growing, the yolk will stay relatively stationary.

I suggest that you keep going. Keep your nose fine tuned and if the egg starts to smell off, get rid of it quick. But as long as the egg isn't spoiling, you have nothing to lose by giving it more time.

Also, you do not know how old the egg is. The veins are visible only during a small window of time.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Also, go to the goose section and there are instructions for incubating goose eggs. I assume they are stickied, although I am not going to go and verify that for you.

9. gooseegg

gooseegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Ok, well I have a glimmer of hope! I candled the egg again just a minute ago and I cupped my hands around the light really well.. and Im almost positive I saw a blood vessel. Several of them branching out. Then I was watching the little dark spot. (perhaps this is where its attached to the egg?) and I thought I saw a little movement. So I waited for awhile just in case my eyes were playing tricks on me.. and I saw a little movement again. Im not sure if it will make it.. but its starting to look promising. I know if it does hatch then I probably should immediatly take it to our "WildCare" rescue place close to me. Wouldn't that be best since there is only one? He would need to be with "siblings" right? What day should I expect it to hatch I wonder? Do I count from the day I started incubating it? It was with the mom for at least 4 days before that. (I incubated on the 21st) Also, what day would I turn the temp down? I keep reading on here about "stickies". I must be blind.. I can't find them.. :-( How do I read them? Thanks so much.

10. adrian

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    Here you go:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

[​IMG]

It sounds as though your egg is alive. With movement and blood vessels... For sure! It's hard to mistake those two things. What kind of incubator are you using? Canada geese are lovely, and I will tell you (secretly) that they make great pets. You could always get a few other little goslings to keep it company... I know a lot of people who rescued a baby goose and did keep it, though it must be kept rather under wraps.

However, as I think I shouldn't say that, it is technically not allowed to keep a wild goose. If you ask me, a stupid law; it is easier to kill them than to save them. Which is more destructive in the end? The most important thing is that you reached out when it was in need. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by