Rescued Goose... now what...needs some tlc... UPDATED new pics

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Azd1292, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Azd1292

Azd1292 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    I work at a office near the river so we always have Canadian geese and native ducks around the plaza. Today there was a poor Chinese? ( i think )Goose trying to follow the Canadians around. It obviously isn't a wild bird and since we always watch the geese at work it must of just been dropped off over the weekend. CRUEL CRUEL CRUEL....... The poor fellow came right up to me in our office parking lot begging for food so I picked it up and home we went! It eats right out of my hand is extremely friendly.. It even tolerated me carrying and petting it which my spoiled ducks hate lol..... So for now I have it in one of my secure duck pens. I am just getting into waterfowl and so far I have had a few pampered ducks for a couple months now.. I need quick schooling in GEESE!
    It seems underweight and its poor feathers are a wreck.... For tonight it is eating the duck grower/finisher I have plus some grass/weeds .. Should I get something better tomorrow..My ducks are ready for adult food so is there something they could all eat ? Should I add in some vitamins would that help its feathers? and How do you tell if its male or female?

I don't know what people are thinking when they drop an animal off to fend for itself but it breaks my heart.. Glad my new friend is safe and now well fed!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:That is so sweet of you to take in this poor creature. It makes me so mad to hear of things like this, and many more animals out there needing help than people willing to do it. Thank goodness you were there. I'd feed it just what your feeding your ducks, I can't get duck and goose feed here in N.C. so i feed Purina Flock Raiser. which is for all feathered birds. when you start your ducks on their new food do the same for your goose. as for sexing I don't know I have an Emden gander only. But if it's that friendly when just meeting it what more could you want. I wish you the best, are you going to be keeping it? My ducks and goose like shreaded romaine lettuce. you might offer it some poultry vitamins in it's water just to get it back in form. Looks like a female in the face but what do I know. someone with experience in Chinese geese will be able to help you. Bless you for rescueing it..

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, what a pair of sweeties! Both the goose and YOU, for rescuing it!

I feed "All Flock" by Nutrena, which is 18% protein and suitable for chickens, ducks, and geese. Everybody gets shredded lettuce or other greens now and then, in addition to what they forage whilst ranging freely.

Hand-fed treats are dry, old-fashioned rolled oats and BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds). The latter is very good for feather production, and is higher in protein than most "chicken scratch" found at feed stores. Plus, the oil helps with feather sheen.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

Thank you for rescuing this goose [​IMG]

5. Azd1292

May 18, 2011
    Wohoo I had some oats and boss on hand surprisingly.... It loved the oats but wasn't too sure of the seeds... hopefully with time it will try some .. Is there anything else good for feather production? Its been pretty quiet so far are they like ducks is one gender louder than others... compared to my pekin female this goose is a mute lol..... Not sure if we will keep it or try find it a good family.. I only have ducks now would it be happy with just them or would i have to get another goose to keep it company? Any more tips for keeping geese happy and healthy ? Any more guesses on if its male or female?

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I would guess gander (male) based upon the size of the knob on the bill.

What they like best is fresh grass. I feed an 18% protein poultry pellet. A 16% pellet might be even better.

I give my geese all my veggie and fruit trimmings from the kitchen, and I pull broad leaf weeds and fresh grass for them. They've pretty much already eaten all the weeds they like out of their confined area.

I suggest that you keep an old broom handy and if he gets confident enough to come at you (and he might), simply point the bristles at his chest and tell him to knock it off in a calm voice. Don't swat at him or poke at him. That is seen as a challenge. If he sees that you aren't afraid and aren't going to fight, he should calm right down.

Whatever you do, never run from him or drop his food really fast if he hisses at you. Geese learn fast and you don't want him to learn that he can bully you.

7. n4zty

n4zty Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    just my opinion but geese make the best pets u have done a great job by rescuing this chinese goose.

8. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Great job of rescuing him!

His feather condition might improve if you give him something to bathe in. Also he might be shedding his feathers now, and that makes them look awful until the new feathers grow out. Is he loosing feathers/down?

My goose is molting now, and he looks awful. The old feathers are frizzy and shaggy, and the new feathers haven't grown out yet.

9. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Not much of an expert here as I have my first two geese this year but was wondering if maybe it isn't fully grown yet and therefore the feathers just haven't all come in? Just a thought. Mine are two months old now and they look kind of straggly and funny at times because they still have some down and some feathers just coming in.

Ours eat grower ration 16% just like our ducks and chickens and then we let them free range in the yard several times a day for grass and weeds. They aren't much on eating fruit and vegies yet but they looooooooove lettuce of any kind and carrot tops.

Both of our geese talk. The male (we think because he's bigger) has started honking of late but the female still just talks in a kind of whistle cheeping sound. They talk to each other a lot and to the ducks and chickens. They also talk up a storm whenever they see or hear one of us. But ours are Embden geese, not Chinese so it could be a breed difference.

What a sweetie for rescuing him!

10. Azd1292

May 18, 2011
    Thanks for all the good tips! He is doing great. So far he is super sweet and friendly . He even prefers if I hand feed him lol !i even pet him....His feathers are falling out it may be part he is molting and part it looks like they were chewed? He does have access to a pool and even likes to be hosed down but the brown isn't coming of th feathers. I'm guessing his living conditions where bad before he got dropped off. He will be pampered now! I added a tub of fresh grass clipping and greens to the pen in addition to his poultry feed. Has anyone else rescued or gotten an adult goose? How long do think it will take him to see this as his home?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by