Rescued hen from freeway hit--trauma

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by onafixedincome, Mar 16, 2011.

1. onafixedincome

onafixedincome Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    I am sitting here with a nice little Red Star sexlink (I think?) who I saw standing utterly bewildered in the middle of a 2-lane freeway. She got hit at least once, or at very least rolled, by a vehicle before I could get to her and get her off the road. She was just turning in circles with every car that went by until I chased her off the road proper.

(A VERY VERY STUPID THING TO DO!!!! DO NOT DO THIS, YOU CAN DIE!!! I ALMOST GOT CLOBBERED!!)

Anyway, I took her to the only vet I know who has ANY bird experience at all, to make sure I wasn't missing anything drastic in my evaluation.

She obviously had road rash of the tail and is missing most of her tailfeathers; she has a bald, scraped area for about 3-4 inches forward of that and a cut at the base of the tail. She has apparent head trauma (swellings around both eyes, primarily the right, abrasions on comb and skull). Eyes are half (left) or completely closed (right) and very deep purple-red facial skin. The beak is undamaged. Her right wing and leg are markedly sore; she holds them out to one side slightly, with the leg more forward than sideways.

Per the vet, she's one exceedingly tough/lucky chicken! No palpable breaks, and we couldn't tell on internal injuries. The head trauma is the most concerning, so the vet prescribed some predisone for inflammation and some pain medication as well. Antibiotics are also being given. She's currently resting next to me on be bed to keep stress minimal and so that I can nurse her better. She seems as comfortable as might be expected; there's no question that even with the pain meds, she's sore.

She will drink if water is dripped slowly from a syringe onto the tip of her beak; I'm actually giving her diluted Snapple lemon tea sweetened with lemonade for now.

I cannot believe that she survived being hit on a freeway that averages about 70 mph; perhaps she was just extraordinarily fortunate and the injuries are from falling out of a vehicle in the first place.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG] for you and for your Freeway Hen.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Good for you! And don't ever do that again!! (the running across the road part). Good luck with her. I hope you will post pics if she improves [​IMG]

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG]

You have gone above and beyond for this lucky girl! I hope she continues to recover. [​IMG] One day, she may just reward you with a big fat egg! Keep us posted.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Guess you'll have to name her Freeway

6. onafixedincome

onafixedincome Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Well, with the prednisone and rest/food/water, she is much improved in attitude and appearance. Absolutely astonishing, actually. [​IMG] Apologies for the alliteration.

She actually laid an egg today, although it was bloody on the shell.

She's eating and drinking like it's going out of style; she holds the right leg slightly forward and to the side and uses the wing on that side for balance and support.

I think she'll make it---I sure hope so. She's a tough little hen!

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Congratulations on your new pet. I hope she continues to recover.

8. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    WOW- awesome!! I have been known to move turtles off the road, but you win this one!! Great job, and Freeway is a lucky chicken.

9. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    You should name her Shamrock for having a bit of the luck 'o the Irish to survive that one!

10. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope she makes it. We are nursing one of our hens that was mauled by a raccoon. It is amazing how quickly they improve (if they are eating and drinking). I've gone high protein, vitamins, and for the first week we had to hand feed her. Since she was already top hen the other girls have not pecked on her. Good luck. Keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by