Rescued Hen. I think a bantam. Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stephanie1992, Nov 19, 2012.

1. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

She was bald when i got her. her feathers are coming back. Shes the same size of my bantam cochins. She seems to be a frizzle. but what breed? Lays white eggs. clean legged. single comb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

First of all, well done you for rescuing this little lady. [​IMG]

Secondly, I would wait until she gets more feathers. She does look small so maybe she is a bantam breed. Frizzle for sure. She will be v pretty! Could be a cross or something. My hens which have silkie in them, lay white small eggs, maybe she has that somewhere in her genetics.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

She shouldn't be laying through this large of a molt. I can't imagine why she'd be laying white eggs either. Are you sure they belong to her?

She looks to be a mixed breed. With frizzles, they seem to be a breed all their own (even if they are a frizzled cochin or a frizzled rock) Most people just call them a frizzle.

4. stephanie1992

I dont think shes molting. She was in a pen with about 20 other chickens and i think she was picked on. it was over crowded. I know the egg was hers because i had her by herself in a cage to make sure she was safe to put with my birds and she layed a white egg.

5. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Her tail and part of her wing look kind of like she's been picked on by other chickens to me. Think it's possible she was coming out of a molt and was hen pecked?

6. aoxa

Frizzles have weird wing feathers like that almost 24/7 She is definitely molting. No doubt about it. She could have been picked on as well, but is molting. Sometimes they will lay through a molt. I have seen it with one of my hens, but she was never molting this bad. [​IMG] Here's my sizzle George. I've had him since April, and he always has weird wing feathers that are pointy and like quills :p

7. stephanie1992

awww hes cute!

8. aoxa

There's one thing I didn't think of.. She could have a double dose of the frizzle gene and be a frazzle. In which case she will be like that even when she's not molting.

1 person likes this.
  9. stephanie1992

ohh i never thought of that. Soo she could stay bald?

10. aoxa

I sure hope not, but it's possible.

These chickens usually need a warm place in the winter, as they can't regulate body temperatures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by