Rescued hen identification please.

Pied Piper

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 10, 2013

I rescued five hens from a farm that no longer wanted to care for them. I was told they were araucana but I'm not sure that's right. They all lay blue eggs. Any thoughts on what breeds they are?

The first birds are Easter eggers. the last bird is maybe a brown Leghorn, going off the color and white earlobe. If so, she'll lay you lots of nice white eggs. the other birds will be a surprise what color/shade they lay. They make a very pretty flock!

X2 on EE's. The last one looks pretty diffierent, though- probably what donrae said.

Last edited:
Thank you! I wondered if they might be Ameraucanas but don't those have to have black or grey legs? I also looked up the brown leghorn. Found a picture that looks exactly like mine! She's a very petite bird. I'm attaching a picture of the fifth hen. Any thoughts?

Easter Eggers generally have green legs.

The last hen looks like a production red. She also appears to have scaly leg mites.

The first birds are Easter eggers. the last bird is maybe a brown Leghorn, going off the color and white earlobe. If so, she'll lay you lots of nice white eggs. the other birds will be a surprise what color/shade they lay. They make a very pretty flock!
Easter Eggers generally have green legs.

The last hen looks like a production red. She also appears to have scaly leg mites.
X2 on both of the above posts.

Back
Top Bottom