Rescued hen is gonna make it! pic pg 8

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by meriruka, Mar 1, 2008.

1. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Today I brought home a tiny hen that someone was using as bait for fox and coyotes. She has some frostbite on her comb but her feet are terrible. There is only the one long middle toe on each foot, where the other toes should be are just nubs. The feet look lumpy and she is picking at them. the nails on the two toes she has were 3/4 inch long, so I trimmed them , she can stand better but I don't know what kind of medication to put on them. I can't post pics until Tuesday, because I'm down here on the farm and I don't have my camera.
    I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  2. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    God Bless You for saving this chicken-I have no answers for you. There are plenty on the forum who will be able to assist.

DeeDee

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

If she's picking at them, she might have mites that could be making her itchy.

You could put Vaseline just to protect the skin/scales.

WTH is wrong with people that they'd use a living being for bait?!

4. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Mites can eat away at the toes, and are very itchy. I would treat for mites- ivermectin would be good.

5. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    Where do you get Ivermectin? I'm pretty far from anything around here, and everything is closed on Sunday. We have a Southern States I could get to on Monday.
    Do I need to treat the whole bird for mites or just the feet?

6. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I used Campho Phenique (sp?) on one of mine and it did a great job you can get that at the local drug store or grocery store. I used a eye dropper to put it on the legs. I did it twice a day they were looking better in a week.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  7. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    oh thats awful and a pinful death, **hugs** for saving her

8. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    Thanks I'll try that until I can get the Ivermectin stuff. I just found out that little miss 'I have no feet" can fly like a crow.

9. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I'd help her stand in a dishpan of warm water & antibacterial soap w/a couple pinches of baking soda added. That'll loosen dirt, dead skin, blood & mites if any to start. Then you can gently wipe em dry & add the campho, or neosporin, vit e or even a light coat of desitin probly. LINE whatever you keep her in with something soft-- I like microfiber cloths personally & have used a ton of em w/ Chook. . . .

10. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    Quote:I was at the trade lot looking at the birds, a man (sadly, someone I know) came up and said he wanted a rooster that crowed "every two minutes' because he wanted to put it in a trap to lure coyotes and foxes and the hen he had in there now was too quiet. The owner would only sell the birds in pairs, so I asked him what he would do with the hen. He said he'd turn it loose. I offered to take it and I said I'd take the little hen he had in the trap currently as well. So we drive to the end of the earth and trudge through the woods and there is this tiny bantam hen all alone in the trap. So, I couldn't save the roo, but I saved two hens. The trade lot hen is an amerucana and the little girl, I have no idea. She's shaped like a seabright, but is buff colored with black tips on the feathers or her back and tail. Oh, and her little comb flops over. Gues what I named her, uncreative person that I am.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by