Rescued hens and relocated to new coop @ my house...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nettleville, Aug 8, 2009.

1. nettleville

nettleville Hatching

Aug 8, 2009
    SE GA
    We rescued 7 hens that had been laying really well for a friend down the road. Times got hard for her family and she could no longer afford to care for her chickens. My husband stopped by one day and she had ran out of scratch and mash. The hens where starting to peck each other pretty bad... We bought food for them until we could start building their new home the next day. My husband took 4 days off work and that's when the real work began!!! That was over 2 weeks ago and no eggs... Do you think that their still adjusting to the move? I've been taking real good care of 'em. I give fresh tomato out of the garden, a few peanuts for extra protein... I'm trying to build their systems back up. What ya'll think????
    Thanks,
    Nettleville

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    How lucky they are you rescued them! I imagine after they settle in, their health picks back up and their systems even out they will start laying again.

3. BFeathered

BFeathered Songster

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    Give them a bit more time to get their bearings and nutrition back. The heat of summer may be a contributing factor as well, it certainly is here!

4. mamaKate

mamaKate Songster

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    [​IMG] from MO! Are they on layer crumbles? Or have another source of calcium? If they were starving , it may take awhile to get them going again. Boiled eggs, yogurt or cat food are all good protein sources. It's also possible that the previous owner exagerrated their laying ability.

5. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Songster

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    If they were really out of food to the point it sounds, they may go into a moult immediately. If so, it might take a couple of months for you to get any eggs, but they should be fine after that.

Jim

6. nettleville

nettleville Hatching

Aug 8, 2009
    SE GA
    Yes, I'm giving them laying mash pellets. I haven't tried the cat food, but I will tomorrow. We have a 14 yr. old Persian! 3 chihuahuas and a small bulldog.. Oh, I forgot the 5 fish and 2 hermit crabs!!!!!

7. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:i disagree.....some industries force molts by withholding food for weeks and water for 3 days in order for them to produce more eggs....that's why i got chickens cause that and the cage issues are horrible

8. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Songster

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    Quote:i disagree.....some industries force molts by withholding food for weeks and water for 3 days in order for them to produce more eggs....that's why i got chickens cause that and the cage issues are horrible

Not sure what part of my post you "disagree" with!
    Also, forced moulting involves withholding feed for 10 days, (not "weeks"), OR water for three days, not both. Can't imagine how these stories get so much circulation. They certainly don't start with someone with actual experience in the business. I am not in the business, but worked in it for a few years when I was young.

Jim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: