Jmwah_12

In the Brooder
May 7, 2020
I hate to be a pain, but is there any way you can get some photos with more light on the lump? Top, bottom, side and back?

Can you find her ear canal at all?

The buff colored hen's bum looks like the feathers have been plucked, but her skin's not too bad. I would apply a bit of Nu Stock or Hen healer on that darkish spot right in the middle - sort of looks like an abrasion or scab?
Yes of course I can take some more pics tomorrow morning, and I'll definitely try that out on her and see if it works

Jmwah_12

In the Brooder
May 7, 2020
20200803_145621.jpg
20200803_145626.jpg
20200803_145634.jpg
20200803_145642.jpg
20200803_145654.jpg

@Wyorp Rock Sorry these pics are so late! I had a busy morning, but here are some pics I took of her today. I tried poking around with a needle to see if pus would come out or it would drain but it just bled so I put some ointment on it. I also tried cleaning her eye and ear area but it was really dirty and I cleaned what I could.

hayley3

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Southern Indiana
View attachment 2275483 View attachment 2275485 View attachment 2275486 View attachment 2275487 View attachment 2275488

@Wyorp Rock Sorry these pics are so late! I had a busy morning, but here are some pics I took of her today. I tried poking around with a needle to see if pus would come out or it would drain but it just bled so I put some ointment on it. I also tried cleaning her eye and ear area but it was really dirty and I cleaned what I could.
Poor baby...that looks bad...I can't see her eye at all on that side. :(
So good of you to rescue her...she definitely needed rescuing! :hugs

Jmwah_12

In the Brooder
May 7, 2020
Poor baby...that looks bad...I can't see her eye at all on that side. :(
So good of you to rescue her...she definitely needed rescuing! :hugs
Yeah, these poor ladies were abandoned in the streets and they were living in a trash can and under a car. Her eye is concealed under the huge thing and it's hard for her to see because it's so big and it was quite dirty. But I hope these ladies get better and they'll be happier with me than living on the streets.

Wyorp Rock

Addict
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
Thank you for the photos.
Not sure if @Eggcessive has seen these.

Is vet care an option at all?
The other side (right side) is not as swollen, what does the inside of that ear look like? Is it clear of pus or debris? Chicken pus is often hard or semi-hard like cheese.

On the left side, I have an arrow pointing - is that her eye or ear canal or...?

I'm thinking you may need to have a vet lance it if possible. It may be a tumor or abscess instead of a big ball of pus in there. It's just really hard to know.

1596512786932.png

Jmwah_12

In the Brooder
May 7, 2020
Thank you for the photos.
Not sure if @Eggcessive has seen these.

Is vet care an option at all?
The other side (right side) is not as swollen, what does the inside of that ear look like? Is it clear of pus or debris? Chicken pus is often hard or semi-hard like cheese.

On the left side, I have an arrow pointing - is that her eye or ear canal or...?

I'm thinking you may need to have a vet lance it if possible. It may be a tumor or abscess instead of a big ball of pus in there. It's just really hard to know.

View attachment 2275664
Where the arrow is at is just her skin. Her eye is directly under the lump, covered completely by the lump. Her ears look good, a little dirty with some black stuff but I cleaned it as best as she would allow me to. But vet care isnt an option where I live, I live in the city and theres not alot of Vets who treat farm animals, or especially chickens

hayley3

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Southern Indiana
Where the arrow is at is just her skin. Her eye is directly under the lump, covered completely by the lump. Her ears look good, a little dirty with some black stuff but I cleaned it as best as she would allow me to. But vet care isnt an option where I live, I live in the city and theres not alot of Vets who treat farm animals, or especially chickens
I know vets are expensive and I'm afraid to take mine to a vet because I feel some vets are money hungry....but I actually found a vet on PoultryDVM.com.
Here's the link: http://www.poultrydvm.com/poultry-vets.php

I live in the country and the vet I found that takes care of chickens is in the city.

hayley3

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Southern Indiana
Thanks so much! I'll check and see if I can find any near by me!
I would emphasize when you go/if you go that you rescued it and wanted to help the poor thing..maybe they will go easy on the bill. :) This poor baby really needs a vet who can lance an abscess or whatever it is, and I would make sure to tell them it's an abscess first because they don't really need to know internal bird anatomy to help her.

Jmwah_12

In the Brooder
May 7, 2020
I would emphasize when you go/if you go that you rescued it and wanted to help the poor thing..maybe they will go easy on the bill. :) This poor baby really needs a vet who can lance an abscess or whatever it is, and I would make sure to tell them it's an abscess first because they don't really need to know internal bird anatomy to help her.
Yeah of course, thank you so much for the help! And yeah she does need it removed bc it really hinders her eyesight but I'll try my best to make her comfortable in the mean time

Top Bottom