rescued kitten********oh no i think we're losing him *****ud 1st post

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hunterjumper999, Jun 28, 2010.

1. hunterjumper999

hunterjumper999 Songster

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    We 'rescued' a kitten from this ladys house...they are overrun with kitties . My DF didnt think he had to be rehomed but I did!

we think he's about 4-5 weeks old. he's been eating kitten food soaked in milk replacer and has been using the box.

he was SUPER lethargic and we had to use zodiac spray on him ( for kittens and puppies) because we picked over 200 fleas off his tiny body ( hes smaller than a coke can) he's de flea'd now.

What do we have to do for him? he's being a little more active but still cries constantly and sleeps alot.

********************************************************************************************************

I found the kitten on the bathroom floor off the heat pad and towel. He has poop and pee on his body and he is mouth breathing. I "THINK" he is on the way away from us. Tina tried to resusitate him, blowing hot air into her shirt with him in it. He's so cold and cant seem to warm up. He is breathing very slightly ( no rise/fall of the chest ) and occasionally gasping.

I don't know what to do! I'm holding him. I feel HORRIBLE.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    The kitten should be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. I would think about worms and feline leukemia, just to start with.

3. hunterjumper999

hunterjumper999 Songster

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    I've been in contact with my vet. There is very little point in running any tests on him right now because he's so weak. . . his FIV status doesnt matter so much to us because if hes + he'll live indoors as an only cat. Our other cat Monkey doesnt come inside at all.

I dewormed him with a paste she gave me, actually I'm to deworm him every three days in a tiny amount on a qtip because he's so small and fragile.

i really hope the little guy makes it [​IMG]

We were wanting another cat for the yard anyway... apparently we have rats! I found a 1/2 rat on the driveway yesterday .. hopefully with two cats we wont have ANY [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  4. LV426

LV426 Chillin

Jul 16, 2008
    I'd get some kitten chow and baby pablum and goats milk and mix up a slurry of yummy goodness for him to eat. We used this mixture for our kittens if their mom would dry up early or for rescue kittens that had no mom and I've never lost a litter yet. :)

5. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Songster

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] Thank you for rescuing this poor kitten, I am sure you will be blessed. Good luck and wishing all the best to the kitten. [​IMG]

6. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Cats are great with mice and some smaller rats, but I have had rats that none of the cats were able to take care of. The best ratter I ever had was a dog. She was a Chow mix dog. I really glad that you saved the kitten. I am hoping that it will start to perk up with good food and care.

7. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Crossing the Road 10 Years

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    awww, it sounds so cute! im really glad you saved it, that was so kind of you, i really hope the little guy makes it, good luck (and please keep us updated)! thanks [​IMG]

8. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    So a really stupid question: What color is the kitten? i grew up with orange cats, I have a variety of colors now. My parents finally adopted their first all black not long ago, and the parents are now in their 70's. They are in love with their 18lb ultra dominate shelter cat. They have to keep him indoors, because they find that he will try to kill the neighbors dominate cats. He kept scaring the neighborhood. So now Baird only is let out on a leash. They think that he will try to kill my Yorkshire terriers. Someday I might try that theory. [​IMG]

PS I am really hoping that this little cat will live, and grow into a great companion.

9. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I will except pictures of the kitten. [​IMG]

10. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I just reread your post: A kitten that age is supposed to sleep a lot. It still needs warmth. It will prefer it's siblings, and of course it's mother. In loo of that you need to figure out how to replace the kitten's fairly basic needs. If a kitten is less than 4 weeks the need are greater for the same things. I had a kitten that was estimated to be about three weeks old, and the kitten that was crying all the time was the one that died. I am thinking that your kitten must have been older than that, because it was out and about in the chicken yard. On the other hand maybe you should report the place you found the kitten in because it is clear they are not spaying their cats. Most places have a low cost spay and neuter option. It is just a Google away these days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: