Rescued mallard in bad shape

SouthernPride

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2011
Olive Branch, MS
A female mallard was brought to me today, she was found at a park being gang raped. Her neck is totally missing feathers but it's the wings that I'm worried about. Every one of her blood feathers have been broken. After washing her up, I had her in an outdoor pen and when I went out this evening to lock them up I found her covered in flies and maggots. I've cleaned her up again using a brush I remove the maggots, diluted betadine to kill germs and then used a natural flea killer for pets and sprayed her down. My question is, since she has so many broken blood feathers will these fall out and will new ones come in before the fall?

Well done on trying to help her. I would be tempted to apply antibiotic ointment to her head and keep her in a 'fly free' area. That sad picture shows the reality of what too many drakes in a flock can do.

I have her in the house now in a quiet room. Bathed her again, don't see anymore maggots so I think I caught that in nick of time. I've put save-a-chick in her water and offered her crumbles and mealworms. She will drink but not eat, not surprising since she is wild, doesn't know what crumbles are. I'm worried about the broken feathers though. From what I've read on this site is to pull a broken blood feather. No way can I do that to this poor girl, that would be every feather on both wings.

Back
Top Bottom