Rescued OEG - how long to quarantine?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by poppycock1974, Sep 11, 2016.

1. poppycock1974

poppycock1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2015
    Jacksonville FL
    Yesterday I rescued a chicken that's been apparently running loose in our neighborhood for close to two months. She looks healthy but I know looks are deceiving. she is currently quarantined but her pen is about 5 feet from my big girls coop/run. My backyard is very small and that's the furthest away I could get her. She has a bath box with the DE in case she has mites and I do have a liquid corded on hand but wasn't sure if I should treat her just in case. Also, about how long should I keep her quarantined? When its safe I want to move her pen closer to my big girls run.

2. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Most people recommend quarantining new birds for 30 days. If they show any signs of illness, even if it's just the snuffles, keep them separate until the bird has made a full recovery.

3. poppycock1974

Mar 2, 2015
    Jacksonville FL
    Should I treat with Corid just in case or wait- in your opinion. I've read some people say yes some people say no. I don't know if it will hurt her if she doesn't have anything going on but if she does I could get a nipped in the bud

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Quarantine is a you do it properly, or you are not doing it. 5 feet is not doing it. Now I am not judging you, most people in the backyard cannot do a quarantine due to space. What I am trying to say, is that is not far enough, so you may as well put them next to your girls immediately. Also being that you caught this bird, I am assuming that this bird has been hanging around, and so has already exposed your birds to whatever.

I would recommend checking this bird for mites or lice, if you find parasites, I would treat ALL of the birds.

Good luck,

Mrs K

1 person likes this.
  5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    First handle bird checking for weight. Post a picture showing face, the whole body. Do not treat unless health issues noted. Odds are confinement will be less quality than the free-range living it had acclimated to. Quarantine in this case is little more than acclimation to confinement.

6. poppycock1974

Mar 2, 2015
    Jacksonville FL
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

her legs look great and there is no discharge from her eyes or nose. I noticed today her left weighing it is clipped and our neighborhood is not known for having chickens so I think she got out from someone's house a while back. We put posts up waiting for her original owner to contact me but I'm giving them 30 days. The only reason I agreed to take her was because of the Eagles and Hawks in our area. I've also had a raccoon try to get in my coop before. Aside from that, the people she has been coming up to have been feeding her potato chips and bread mostly.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Diet she had was dominated by insects and the best parts of green plants. The junk food consumed was her hard wired tendency to eat what ever she can find easily. She looks very good and about 12 weeks old. That means she is a juvenile and clipping at most a couple weeks old.

8. poppycock1974

Mar 2, 2015
    Jacksonville FL
    That's what I was afraid of. I've posted her on missing animal site and our neighborhood site but no response. She was roaming in the back of our neighborhood, about a half mile away. She was previously posted on our neighborhoods site but the owners haven't claimed her. The lady who posted originally said she was worried because of the other animals around. I had a decent sized yard until I built our girls coop and their run so that limited me on space in the grass to put this pen. I thought it would be far enough but I was reading this morning about airborne illness is toO
    This could possibly be a good deed gone bad. I do not want my girls getting sick. Do you think I should treat her with the Corid that I have or wait?

9. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    DO NOT TREAT WITH CORID OR DEWORMER!!!. That bird is in excellent health. Spend some time reading up on the cocci infections. The going bad is when you treat when not needed.

Walk door to door asking about missing chickens. Do not take bird, ask for description. Owner likely within 1/8 mile radius.

10. poppycock1974

Mar 2, 2015
    Jacksonville FL
    OK great thank you. The original lady who found it told me three new people moved in on her street and she's asking them sometime today and will get back to me. As flighty as this bird is I no it got out pretty easy from wherever it was but if it were my girl I would have postings everywhere asking if anyone has seen it. We have a neighborhood festival coming up into weeks and I'm going to put a post up at the gate if I haven't heard anything by then

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by