Rescued Pekin

Jus-Ducky

Chirping
Jan 12, 2018
Hi All!

Neighbor has been feeding wild mallards and Pekin that were bought by others for Easter and set free. There were 4 Pekin. One disappeared, one was killed by a dog. I told the neighbors I would take them in. Not only am I a new chicken Mom, but now a new duck Mom. The neighbors have been feeding whole kernel dried corn. It was a moments notice when he called me to come and get them. So, I put them in a tote, re-homed them in a 10 x 10 dog kennel. For the night, I have put the tote on its side and threw some hay in it. Used the lid to pour a line of unmedicated starter/grower chicken feed, a line of cracked corn and a line of unmedicated poultry grit. I used a litter box I had at my pool for a foot tub, for their water. I have a small kiddy pool I plan on putting water in for them to swim in tomorrow. One of the ducks is missing a middle nail. I haven't gotten to look at it better since it was getting dark when I picked them up from the neighbor. I think they are a male and female. One has a curled tail and one doesn't. I believe they were set out after Easter this year. So that is all I know to guess their age.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. Do I need a ramp for them in and out of the pool or will they be able to get in and out of a small kiddy pool (question mark key doesn't work) lol.
They have been deserted and fed with wild ducks, so I suppose I should worm them. What should I use. I have DE, pie pumpkins, fresh basil and fresh oregano. Will any of that work.

Should I be worried about lice and any other parasites. I did pick up some spray for my chickens bedding that is natural but I'm not sure if it can be used on ducks. I'll have to read it tomorrow, since it's outside tonight.

TIA,
Jus-Ducky :)

Hi All!

Neighbor has been feeding wild mallards and Pekin that were bought by others for Easter and set free. There were 4 Pekin. One disappeared, one was killed by a dog. I told the neighbors I would take them in. Not only am I a new chicken Mom, but now a new duck Mom. The neighbors have been feeding whole kernel dried corn. It was a moments notice when he called me to come and get them. So, I put them in a tote, re-homed them in a 10 x 10 dog kennel. For the night, I have put the tote on its side and threw some hay in it. Used the lid to pour a line of unmedicated starter/grower chicken feed, a line of cracked corn and a line of unmedicated poultry grit. I used a litter box I had at my pool for a foot tub, for their water. I have a small kiddy pool I plan on putting water in for them to swim in tomorrow. One of the ducks is missing a middle nail. I haven't gotten to look at it better since it was getting dark when I picked them up from the neighbor. I think they are a male and female. One has a curled tail and one doesn't. I believe they were set out after Easter this year. So that is all I know to guess their age.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. Do I need a ramp for them in and out of the pool or will they be able to get in and out of a small kiddy pool (question mark key doesn't work) lol.
They have been deserted and fed with wild ducks, so I suppose I should worm them. What should I use. I have DE, pie pumpkins, fresh basil and fresh oregano. Will any of that work.

Should I be worried about lice and any other parasites. I did pick up some spray for my chickens bedding that is natural but I'm not sure if it can be used on ducks. I'll have to read it tomorrow, since it's outside tonight.

TIA,
Jus-Ducky :)
@007Sean has had many species id ask him, and experience

Bless you for rescuing them. Since they are a heavy breed I'd rec some type of easy way to get into the pool that way they won't injure their legs jumping out.
Give them water they can bathe in and if they have any parasites that should take care of them. But you can treat too if you want to. A poultry dust from most feed stores would work.

Since they are a larger breed, you may want to check them out for bumblefoot too, or other leg issues. Pekins are notorious for leg issues and naicin deficiency. Depending on how they raised before being released you may see some of those issues. Hopefully they have a clean bill of health. I think it is great that you are rescuing them.

Now I'm a newer duck mom too...(I just got my first batch back in April) But hopefully I can give you some advice. I would definitely put a step by the kiddie pool, both in and out. I wouldnt use a ramp, personally my ducks do NOT understand ramps and end up falling. I personally use just like a brick or rock or even a smooth board or log will work. They may not use them, but its a good idea to have them so they don't hurt themselves. (My ducks are sorta dumb and just climb out (not using the step) and fall and stumble). If you could post some pictures of that toe with the missing nail we could evaluate it better to make sure its not going to turn into something worse, but I know holding a duck for a picture can be difficult! Yes I would make sure they have swimming water to stay clean and help with parasites. If you have any specific questions, just let me know and I can 'try' to help! Great job saving them! Many people think releasing ducks into the wild is a good idea...when a lot of the time they just end up dying. Good luck!!!

Bless you for rescuing them. Since they are a heavy breed I'd rec some type of easy way to get into the pool that way they won't injure their legs jumping out.
Give them water they can bathe in and if they have any parasites that should take care of them. But you can treat too if you want to. A poultry dust from most feed stores would work.
Thank you. I'll post pics later

Now I'm a newer duck mom too...(I just got my first batch back in April) But hopefully I can give you some advice. I would definitely put a step by the kiddie pool, both in and out. I wouldnt use a ramp, personally my ducks do NOT understand ramps and end up falling. I personally use just like a brick or rock or even a smooth board or log will work. They may not use them, but its a good idea to have them so they don't hurt themselves. (My ducks are sorta dumb and just climb out (not using the step) and fall and stumble). If you could post some pictures of that toe with the missing nail we could evaluate it better to make sure its not going to turn into something worse, but I know holding a duck for a picture can be difficult! Yes I would make sure they have swimming water to stay clean and help with parasites. If you have any specific questions, just let me know and I can 'try' to help! Great job saving them! Many people think releasing ducks into the wild is a good idea...when a lot of the time they just end up dying. Good luck!!!
Ty so much

What do you guys think about using DE to dust them with and for deworming? Has anyone done this?

Back
Top Bottom