Rescued Pigeon

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Cloverleaf Farm, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I work at an emergency vet clinic, and last night (my night off) I got a phone call from work. "There's a pigeon that a good sam brought in that needs a home". There were actually two, but the one had such a badly mangled wing, they euthanized it. I went and picked her up today, she is beautiful. Almost all white, with a little black flecking on the back of her neck, and some mahogany brownish on a couple of her tail feathers. She will have a forever home with us. BUT I am really angry at whomever dumped her. I really believe that she was dumped. They were found in a field, BOTH of her wings have been broken and healed BADLY, she will never fly again, she can't even spread her wings fully. There are a lot of scars on her. I am guessing that she was used as a bait bird for training hunting dogs. There's no way these birds got out there by themselves.
    I will post pics of her tomorrow when it's light out, and maybe someone can tell me what breed she is. (There's no leg band).

2. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Songster

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Oh wow! [​IMG] Poor babies! I'm SO glad you have taken the surviving bird in. Definitely the result of unethical dog training (there are MUCH better and humane ways to go that!!!!!).

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Here's a pic of her (him? [​IMG] ) Sorry it's not a very good pic, she's still really nervous...

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  4. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    First, GREAT job and thanks for giving them a forever home ! [​IMG]

I know nothing about pigeons (yet [​IMG]) but they look like homing pigeons possibly...

5. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Thanks! [​IMG] Both pics are the same bird [​IMG] the other one had to be euthanized. [​IMG] I wonder if that part would've been different if I had been there though...

Homer was my first though too, but I'm still a pigeon newbie, and we only have parlor rollers.

You can see in the pics how messed up her wings are... [​IMG]

6. OzawkieBantams

OzawkieBantams Songster

Sep 15, 2010
    Ozawkie, KS
    dat's a purdy birdy [​IMG]

7. chickenX

chickenX In the Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    Long Beach
    you are a good egg.
    thank you for helping her.

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

yes, her wings look badly / poorly positioned, poor girl. Bless you for taking her in -- I hope she will be happy, healthy, and know that she is safe and loved. [​IMG]

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Looks like a female (small head/neck) and I believe it is a homer.

10. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:[​IMG] Thanks!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: