1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rescued pullet, major head injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rubenmarquez23, Aug 26, 2014.

1. rubenmarquez23

rubenmarquez23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Hello guys! I rescued this pullet from the streets today. She has a major injury in her head, I'm assuming she was attacked by something, she has no skin in her head you can clearly see her skull will she be scared for life or will feathers or skin eventually grow? How do I help her recover? I have my own flock so she will be separated and quarantined.Also she has attempted to eat but she only picks up the food and then drops it. Any tips on how to make her eat or feed her or will she eventually eat? I also haven't seen her drink water the times I have gone to check up on her so I don't know if she is drinking. [​IMG]

2. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Poor thing is probably in shock or has a brain injury and can not function. Treat her head just like you would a persons wound. Gently rinse with a sterile saline solution for cuts and abrasions. The first aid isle has it. I keep a couple of bottles on hand all the time. Gently coat the wound with an antibiotic ointment WITHOUT painkiller ingredients. You can also mix 1/2 betadine and 1/2 water. Soak a cotton ball with it and blot her head twice a day. DON'T GET IT IN HER EYES. AAtually I would prefer this treatment because ointments can attract dirt.

Give her a quiet place to rest and try some treats that have a lot of water content. I've had good luck with grapes cut into 4 pieces. It sound a bit extreme but it helps to replace fluids and will get her appetite going again. I can almost guarantee that a scrambled egg will vanish when put in front of her.

So kind of you to rescue her. Keep us posted on her progress.

3. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

You could force her to drink if you have syringes ( the needless kind) you can add Epsom salts to her water for better hydration when she does drink (just a pinch), but she'll eat and drink when she's ready. I've dealt with major head injuries before, takes a while for the bird to get back to normal ( week or two, some stay a little odd for months like my bantam hen). chickens are impressive healers. With a little help her skin may heal and feathers may come back in, but I've only seen this with most layers of skin gone not a total skin loss (ouch). If you are worried about systemic infection starting up try 'super booster' or something like it ( it's like gator aid for chickens etc. with antibiotics) it comes in huge amounts with instruction for factory farm sized flocks, a put an 8th of a teaspoon or so in a sick birds water and remake it daily, about $16 Canadian for a bag that last through a year of chicken mishaps. Sorry if this is all stuff you know, good luck to you and the little pullet.

4. rubenmarquez23

rubenmarquez23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Good news is she is already drinking and eating on her own.

5. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

That's great guess you have a new flock member. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by