Rescued Quail Nestling ~ HELP!~

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sewsia, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Sewsia

Sewsia New Egg

Jun 26, 2016
    Soap Lake, Washington
    Hi all!!

So glad my husband found this for me. I'm new to poultry farming, or brooding, or whatever you want to call it. I have hand raised parakeets. I'm fully aware the two are not alike. But,having done one does give me some experience.

I found this little Nestling rolling around in a parking lot. At the time I had no idea what kind of bird it was or how it landed in the parking lot. There were no nests around that it could have fallen from, and I wasn't seeing any birds that would make me think it was the baby's mother. So, I chose to take it home thinking it's luck with me is just a smidge higher than leaving it. After surfing pictures on the net I was able to identify it as a quail. Now I don't know what kind of quail.It made me feel better learning it was a quail, because chances are a predator had it and me taking it was an ok decision. I have put out the information that I'm looking for an experienced quail brooder or anyone currently brooding. No responses yet.

So, this is my situation. I'm going to go post in a quail forum.

Happy Brooding!

Sewsia

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Sewsia. Welcome to Backyard chickens. I don't know anything but quail but, hope you will be successful raising the little one. Do you have any "wildlife rescues," in your area - they would probably take it in and care for it.

1 person likes this.
  3. uncertainty

uncertainty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2015
    Great White North
    Hi Sewsia;

Nice one on the rescue; it is so hard to know when to step in versus when to step away. Sounds like you made a good choice. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sewsia

Sewsia New Egg

Jun 26, 2016
    Soap Lake, Washington
    I have put out messages at my vet, the local feed store, Craigslist, and some Facebook groups looking for an experienced quail brooder or anyone currently raising quail. Otherwise, the nearest refuge is over 200 miles away.

I don't know where else to post or look for help.

I did have some chicken raiser say they'd put him with their chicks, but I feel that's too risky for him.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Sewsia

Sewsia New Egg

Jun 26, 2016
    Soap Lake, Washington
    Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by