Rescued Rooster Breed?

LetItBeeHomestead

In the Brooder
Dec 12, 2019
Paso Robles, California
Hello all,

I apologize for the quality of the photos, but I thought I would give it a shot. My family rescued this rooster off the side of the road - we did quarantine him for a bit but he seems healthy enough so we've started to integrate him into the rest of our flock. He's very friendly and has been great with the hens, only tussling a bit with our Euskal Oiloa roo. He's bigger than the EO, has an interesting comb, possibly a pea comb to my extremely amature eye, and very yellow legs. My best guess is mutt or easter egger - what say you, chicken experts?

Thanks in advanced!

IMG_9790.jpg
IMG_9701.jpg
IMG_9786.jpg

Attachments

EggSighted4Life

Crossing the Road
Apr 9, 2016
California's Redwood Coast
we did quarantine him for a bit but he seems healthy enough so we've started to integrate him into the rest of our flock.
He is a beautiful barnyard cross as far as I can tell. :love

I would check his legs for scaly leg mite.. pics aren't clear so it might be standard "older" scales... as indicated by his spur length his is over 1 year old.

I see white gunk in front of his eye... an indicator that quarantine before integration MIGHT not be enough... probably too late since he's already there.

Hope everyone thrives! Bless you and your family for helping out a fellow creature! :hugs

Did you happen to look for his home in case it was an accidental escape or extended adventure for that boy? As you describe him, he might have a family missing him. :fl

LetItBeeHomestead

In the Brooder
Dec 12, 2019
Paso Robles, California
He is a beautiful barnyard cross as far as I can tell. :love

I would check his legs for scaly leg mite.. pics aren't clear so it might be standard "older" scales... as indicated by his spur length his is over 1 year old.

I see white gunk in front of his eye... an indicator that quarantine before integration MIGHT not be enough... probably too late since he's already there.

Hope everyone thrives! Bless you and your family for helping out a fellow creature! :hugs

Did you happen to look for his home in case it was an accidental escape or extended adventure for that boy? As you describe him, he might have a family missing him. :fl
Thank you for your reply - I am not at all surprised that he is a mutt, nor am I disappointed. We did give him a bath yesterday but I will inspect his legs closer and keep an eye out for further issues. Hopefully his eye is ok. He's not living with our other birds right now but has obviously had contact, so fingers crossed that he (and everyone else) is ok!

We did not search for his family, although I did think about it. I believe he was intentionally dumped, as we found him by a very busy freeway off ramp. Someone had left him food but it was soggy so he had been there a few days, at least. I have been looking at lost animal posts locally, just in case.

LetItBeeHomestead

In the Brooder
Dec 12, 2019
Paso Robles, California
Indeed a handsome fella, good on ya for the rescue!! How is his poop looking?
It's definitely a little loose, but of course we have no idea what he was eating or how long he was on his own. He was very hungry when we first got him home. He also had a runny nose but that has cleared up. We had just finished up about a week of rain, poor guy.

Top Bottom