Rescued rooster in the city

saracb

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 28, 2010
My family just took in a rescued rooster - the people who found it thought it was a hen, but according to many folks here it is a red sexlink rooster. We plan to keep him and are starting to build a coop. We originally wanted hens for the eggs but can't turn this guy away. I don't want for someone else to take him and use him for meat at this point.
Anyway, we are hesitant to get a hen because we don't want to get chicks. We also don't want another rooster as they might fight and the crowing might become a problem. I suppose another hen could cause some crowing? He's pretty quiet so far.
I guess my question is will this guy be ok as our only chicken? Should we consider adding a hen or two?
We are also aware that if he starts crowing we will have to find another home for him. Any advice on how to find one that does not involve him being killed, or at least not immediately?
I should say that I'm new at this - I didn't even know what a sexlink rooster was until the other day, so forgive me if these questions are stupid. Hopefully I'm not being too naive in wanting to keep this rooster alive.
Thanks -

Chickens do not do well all by themselves. If you don't want to get chicks, look on Craigslist and see if you can find some hens that are of laying age. He'd much happier that way. Good luck.

Chickens are social animals. Even roosters need a companion, and he'd be much happier with a hen or two. You don't have to worry about chicks at all if you gather their eggs - chicks don't start to develop without incubation, and MOST laying hens have had the "broodiness" bred out of them. They lay their eggs and get off the nest. So, just gather the eggs and enjoy how much better they are than store-bought eggs!

Let me start with the easy question. If you have a rooster and a hen, you won't get chicks unless you want them. Simply collect the eggs on the day that they're laid. A chick doesn't start to form inside a fertile egg unless it's incubated. With the bantam breeds I have, you can keep a rooster with a single hen; however, I know you can't do this with all breeds of roosters because they'll overmate the hen (essentially, pester the living daylights out of her trying to mate all the time).

If what you have is indeed a rooster, it would be nothing short of a miracle if he doesn't begin to crow, either when he reaches chicken puberty (if he's young), or when he starts feeling safer and more settled. If that's what you're counting on to keep him, I'd suggest you start trying to find a good home out in the country for him with someone who wants a rooster to free range with their flock. You can try looking for internet poultry forums in your area. That's how I found home for my little roos (it's illegal where we live to have roosters).

Good luck!

get rid of him beofre he matures and turns nasty. I had vegetarian friends who rescued a roo chick and refused to believe they couldn't keep him as a loving pet. A little less than a year later after both being badly spurred and absolutely no luck "rehoming" a huge bird with no fear of people they brought him to me with a bottle of BBQ sauce! Their words were, "We don't care what you do to him enjoy!"

He was delicous.

Thanks for the advice.
Shoot, we have really been holding onto the idea that we have a hen. But this morning I think he crowed a little, although we ran outside looking for an egg.
I think we'll take the advice of finding a good home for him while we can and before he starts crowing. He's super nice now - let's us hold him, comes over to where we are sitting and falls asleep. But if there's a chance of that going in an opposite direction we can't do that - we have a dog, two kids, and neighbors very nearby.
I am getting a name from the owner of our CSA who raises chickens. She can't take him due to potential health issues but knows of someone who might be able to help.
I think we're interested in getting some hens once we've figured this out though - it's too exciting now that we have our feet wet.
Anyway, thanks for the advice, this forum is really helpful -

Not all roosters go bad. Actually, large fowl roosters (standard sized) tend to generally be more mellow than bantam roosters, whom we've had over the years and have found to be a bit aggressive. We had a few red sexlinks a few years ago and for the time that we had them, they seemed pretty nice. But we had too many and were not able to keep them. All roosters have mean-ness in them. It's all instinct. Some are just born bad, and others become bad. Some are born good and others can start off a little mean but mellow out as they age.

As for your crowing issue, yes, he will crow. I've never heard of a rooster who won't crow, access to hen or no. I hope you find him a loving home.

Back
Top Bottom