Rescued rooster with severe leg injury...

Cr8zysweet

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 23, 2011
Rescued a beautiful rooster that had a string tied around his leg. Looked as if it had either been there since he was young or tied so tightly that it cut into his leg clear to the bone! Managed to cut the string/twine from his leg...cleaned with peroxide and smothered in antibiotics, then wrapped in vet wrap. Just worried because he's not moving his toes....worried that all his nerves and muscles were cut. I"m hoping his nerves grow back in time... Why would someone tie a string around his leg?? Anyway just wondering if anyone else has dealt with type of injury? And not culled the bird? Any ideas of something more I should be doing? Talked to an exotic animal doctor who deals with hawks and such....she suggested making a boot out of cardboard, so he uses the foot more, and takes stress off his good leg. Great idea that i will try when his leg heals a little more since it bleeds when jarred in the least little bit (a problem that I deal with daily in changing his bandaging). Just not sure how to fashion the boot with his huge curved spurs.

I would start by trimming his spurs to get them out of your way. Oh, and thanks for saving him!

Many people tether roosters...we pick them up at work all the time
hmm.png
We often see injuries like this...they don't want the rooster to leave the property...usually it is just from neglect. The boot sounds like a fantastic idea, but I would also use iodine or betadine on the leg instead of peroxide and antibiotic cream...leaving it unwrapped will also help keep it dry.

Is the bird young? that will help in healing. Pictures are always extremely helpful.
wink.png

No he's not young...2 years old. Not sure how to trim the spurs?? Don't they have blood vessels in them? Thanks for appreciating the fact that I rescued him
smile.png
, friends think I'm crazy...I believe they are! I love all my animals and don't understand how anyone can ignore a soul in need.

107471_bigboy.jpg

This is Big Boy...as my honey calls him
smile.png

He's currently in a coop with 10 hens that I also rescued with him, so if I left the wound unwrapped wouldn't that open him up to further injury or infection? Sorry to ask so many ?'s just wasn't prepared for a whole another flock....let alone another roo. Oh but he is so sweet and beautiful! And after seeing such an injury couldn't just leave him in that situation....

Spur Removal

I've not done this my self but I read here where someone took a warm baked potato and stuck the spur in it and then just snapped it off. Didn't seem to bother the bird one bit (according to the poster).

I found that interesting.

Quote:
Might I just say, that this does not represent actual responsible owners who use tethering methods but rather irresponsible owners.

I use the tie-cord method, given that I raise gamecocks. I have for years, as did my father, grandfather, and great grandfather (heck even my grandmother and some cousins!) I also use a chain on my dog, to keep him out of trouble given that he likes to roam. I take care of my birds, and I've only received compliments on the health of my birds from outsiders rather than negative comments. Of course I do not use string either for tie-outs, I use a nylon cord with straps specifically made for tie-outs that require a rooster to have decent sized spurs before the strap will even be able to hold him without his foot slipping out.

God bless,
Daniel.

Last edited:
I would separate him and keep him in a clean environment while he is healing so you can keep an eye and handle on possible infection, etc. Maybe keep him penned with a buddy durring treatment so re-introduction to the flock won't be so hard on him.

Can you get a good shot of the injury? Is there any blood flow to the foot (does it feel warm or cold)?

Spurs are basically over grown fingernails...he has white legs, so it may be easier to see where the blood flow starts in the spur (by the way, that may be another way to insure he has blood flow below the injury...if you trim the spur too close and it bleeds, it is actually a good sign in this situation. Blood flow means better chance of healing)...have some stypic powder or sugar ready to put on the cut incase you trim him too close...if that happens, don't be too supprised if there is more blood than you expect. Chances are it will bug you more than it will bother him.

A proper tether is not made from string but nylon rope and a flat washer, I made hundreds of them as a kid. Most likely it is feedsack string not being properly disposed of similar to people who feed horses baled hay without removing the strings.

Quote:
Sorry! Did not mean to imply that all who tether their birds are evil! Just that many use things like baling twine or thread to tie their birds, and once they are tied, they never really look at them close enough to notice a problem before it becomes a problem. That is not to say that there are not people out there who tether their birds without incident!

Quote:
Sorry! Did not mean to imply that all who tether their birds are evil! Just that many use things like baling twine or thread to tie their birds, and once they are tied, they never really look at them close enough to notice a problem before it becomes a problem. That is not to say that there are not people out there who tether their birds without incident!

I just wanted to put that out there, many people will think/say all people who tether are evil lol...

Quote:
if anyone tries this, please promise to tell me the results, and take pictures! I have heard of this too, but I can't imagine that sticking my fingernail into a hot potato will be my new way to trim my fingernails! Then again, I don't have horns growing off my wrists to try this on
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom