Rescued Roosters and introducing them to the girls

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Molbaygun, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Molbaygun

Molbaygun Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2008
    New Milford, CT
    We rescued 5 chicks from Pa this summer. One died in July and the other 4 are thriving. Turns out they are all roos!! Friendly roos though! They have been housed in their own coop next to our girls coop. They all have a run which runs side by side. The roos and the girls have been next to each other for 2 months now. We are trying to find a home for 2 of them and plan on keeping the other 2. I put 2 in today and my poor girls were chased and did not know what to do. The two roos with the girls ate, scratched and had a ball but then the fun wore off and they decided that picking on the girls was more fun. I know they are establishing pecking order but gosh.....will they stop this? I was stressed so I'm sure my girls were freaking out. Is this normal and will they be like this for awhile? I ended up taking them out for the night and putting them back into their run...everyone was much happier. Any suggestions and does anyone want 2 nice looking boys? (NOT FOR DINNER!) I'll try this weekend when I am home and keep a close eye on them. OR can 4 roos live together forever?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know. Do you have any big heavy no nonsense hens to teach him manners?

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    The other day I saw my Poofhead (my Silkie roo) try to get rough with a hen named Pinky. Unfortunately for Poofhead, Pinky is a Jersey Giant. She was able knock the snot out him for being rude.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by