rescued small flock need help

headofthecoop

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 3, 2010
I just rescued a small flock of chickens from an owner who no longer wanted to care for them. they are looking pretty sad I have them in a seprate coop from my flock. The rooster that they had was really really hard on them. I have seperated him so the girls would have a chance to heal up. My flock has been handle alot and are really used to me but these girls are really wild. I dont even think they know how to eat from a feeder or a waterer. I am looking for ideas to get them to heal up a litle faster. I have herad that feeding them a little bit of wet cat food for increesed protien would help. I am having a hard time checking them over well because they are so wild. any advice will be great thank you.

Chickens can look rough without actually being in rough shape. If they were with an overzealous rooster a lot of what you're seeing may just be over-mating at work. My advice would be to put the roo in the freezer and give the hens feed at water (don't worry, they'll figure out a feeder and waterer in no time, no matter how "rough" they are they still have self-preservation instincts at work) and let them be. Unless you notice lethargy, coughing, snotty noses or other sure signs of illness they'll likely bounce "back" quickly once they aren't being harassed by the roo.

They will probably heal up on their own with good quality feed, fresh water and time, but I'd give them scrambled eggs and water with vitamins/electrolytes (powder that you can add to water, sold at feed stores) for a little bit of a boost. If you want them to be more tame I'd also throw them healthy snacks as often as you can - lettuce, veggie scraps, weeds from your garden, etc. Good luck and thank you for rescuing the chickies.

I went out today to check on them a little bit and they are laying but eating there eggs. there shells are really soft as well, I gave them some oyster shell. Some of them got out and my hens just went crazy. I was hoping that by winter I could put them in with mine. Any sugestions?

Thank you for your help so far.

I hope that you are keeping them in quarantine. They could be carriers of a disease your flock has not been exposed to, or develop an illness that you would not want to expose your flock to. Being cautious could save you a lot of heartache.

I have been keeping them in a seperate coop all together. I plan on going to the supply store tomarrow and finding somethings to aid in there recovery hopefully. the just look pathetic. They are learning how to use the waterer though, and trying out the nesting boxes.

Some black oil sunflower seeds can be an easy way to add protien for help with feather re-growth. They should realize you are the one with the food and treats soon enough and calm down a bit.

What I did with my pathetic birds was mix the feed, a layer pellet and a 24% protein grower feed + shelled sunflower seeds (not whole, shelled and cracked and grit scattered around) and kitchen scraps like tomatoes and spinach leaves and the like.

The one who was "scalped" on her back, a combination of molt and being a Roo's favorite, has 1/4 to 1/2 inch feather growth all over her bald back and it's only been 7 days. And she was as naked as a store bought fryer in a 4in by 6in area on her back! She's a lot perkier and happier too.

Plus whatever bugs I find digging in the yard. Even the wild ones know they better get to me quick if they want it, I'm a first come first serve kinda person, unless I throw something to a shy one to teach them about how it works.

Back
Top Bottom