Rescued some chicks and would like to know the breed and gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WerribeeChicken, Apr 18, 2017.

1. WerribeeChicken

WerribeeChicken New Egg

Apr 18, 2017
    I found these two by a train line in a cage filled with water. I have had them for 4 days now snd theyre absolutely lovely. They cuddle and follow eachother everywhere. But sadly, because of my residential area, i can only keep them if they are girls. So gender is a big thing but i would love to know what breed they are too! Thanks guys

P.s. if they are males theyll go to my steo grandfathers free range egg farm so either way theyll be ok :)[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a boy and a girl

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I suspect they are mixes from a flock with a red rooster. And, there is a good chance that at least one is male but a couple more weeks would make it obvious.

4. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    I agree with all said above!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for rescuing them. I'm surprised some idiot didn't tie them to train tracks, what a cowardly thing to do.

Please stop by the "New Members introduction," thread and get a proper welcome.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  6. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    BTW, their eyes don't have the bright look of good health. I hope you have them well separated from any other chickens.

1 person likes this.
  7. WerribeeChicken

WerribeeChicken New Egg

Apr 18, 2017
    thank you :). I suspected that the lighter one is a male but i wasnt sure about Egg (the brown one). They sre my only chickens so theyre not mixed with any others. Theyre very hungry so i am feeding the pellets and vegetables. They have xheered up a lot but i will take them straight to the vet if they deteriorate. I cant understand why someone would dump them, theyre lovely and run right up to you for a cuddle[​IMG]

8. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Probably someone picked them up for Easter, then realized they needed more care than they wanted to give and decided to dump them somewhere.

9. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    It could also be that they're feed store chicks and you lucked into a sexlink and a production red in which case they are likely both female. It's just too soon to be sure.

And as for why, well, some people treat chicks like dollar store toys. They buy them to amuse young children and then get rid of them when they grow out of the downy fluff stage. Sad but true.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by