Rescued stray chicken from street / neck wound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rdee, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Rdee

Rdee New Egg

Feb 19, 2017
    Hi. Long story short, found a chicken scratching in some ivy / running around the sidewalks. Grabbed it to hold on to with hopes of finding owner but no luck yet. Has some sort of wound on back of neck. Have had it for over a day now, and seems to be losing lots of feathers, to the point where one of it's wings is forming a bald spot. Chicken seems to be moving normally / eating / drinking.

I'm a former duck / chicken owner, but otherwise havn't dealt with many issues. Keeping it penned inside my house for now as we are expecting lots of rain here in Napa, CA, and don't want the wound to be constantly wet.

Wound on neck seemed to be something a raccoon would do to me? Or could it be from being picked on by other chickens? Not sure how to proceed. Trying to do the right thing, but don't have a lot of time / money to devote. Dealing with probable flooding here in the next 24 hours.

Attaching picture below.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Just clean it up with soap and water. If you have some triple antibiotic cream put some on and let it be. Looks like something grabbed her by the neck but nothing serious.

3. Cookie666

Cookie666 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2015
    Malaysia
    Trim the feathers around the wound. Check for wounds in hidden places. If she is dropping feathers, she probably has a fever and is sick.

If the wound has scabbed over, press a wet tissue over it until the scab has softened, then remove it. Clean out the dirt and use tweezers to remove white or yellow bits - that is dead flesh. Only pink flesh is good. Everything else has to go. Soak a piece of gauze in antiseptic and wipe and wipe until all the dead tissue is gone. I use chlorhexidine (the pink solution). Diluted iodine is ok too. Pat it dry and then put iodine on it. I use an eyedropper bottle, makes work so easier. Let it dry and it will form a protective film over the wound. Clean it every day until a scab forms. Separate from other chickens.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That wound could be from a hawk or raccoon or other predator, especially since she was lose. She might have not gone into roost where she normally lives, and was attacked overnight. All of the treatments above would work. Vetericyn wound spray is very good to use on wounds. Plain neosporin or bacitracin ointment is also good for wound care. Most wounds similar will heal fine with feather regrowth, as long as there are no internal injuries. Green bruising can be common around wounds. Watch for infection, and just redo the basic washing out of the wound if it happens. Most open wounds in chickens do not require antibiotics. Make sure that she eats and drinks well. Grit and some layer feed is probably all she needs. Keep us posted on how she gets along. Put out some news in your neighborhood to see if anyone has a missing hen.

5. Rdee

Rdee New Egg

Feb 19, 2017
    Thanks for the replies.

Wound was scabbed over. Couldn't tell if it was dirty or if there was any sign of infection underneath so I removed the scab. Looked pretty clean underneath, about what you would expect after removing a scab. No off colors or smells. Applied neosporin as that's what I have on hand. Seems like it should heal fine. Still a bit worried about the feather loss, but maybe it's just stress ?

6. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Stress and they were probably damaged or broken when she was grabbed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by