Rescued this girl with broken leg :(

daisydo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 23, 2013
Georgia

A friend of mine has about 50 chickens that free range.. I noticed this little girl limping, they said a goat stepped on her little leg and broke it... I told them I wanted to bring her home and nurse her back to health. I have her in an old dog crate in my chicken coop. It's too late to wrap it, as I'm not sure when the injury occurred. I did put a couple ground up aspirin in her water to help with the pain..
Anyone have any suggestions for what else I can do?

A friend of mine has about 50 chickens that free range.. I noticed this little girl limping, they said a goat stepped on her little leg and broke it... I told them I wanted to bring her home and nurse her back to health. I have her in an old dog crate in my chicken coop. It's too late to wrap it, as I'm not sure when the injury occurred. I did put a couple ground up aspirin in her water to help with the pain..
Anyone have any suggestions for what else I can do?
Is she able to walk on leg,you mentioned that she limps. She will always have limp,you will have to accommodate her living environment for her. Lower roosts,make sure she is able to enter coop at night,make sure she can reach feed/water containers. Does she eat/drink properly? Did they tell you when injury occurred? You are right,no point in splinting leg as the bones have already fused. Why do you feel she is in pain,how is she acting? She will always need supervision if she is free ranged as she will not be able to escape any predator. Keep her,give her a chance at a happy life. Why did the previous owners not deal with this poor girl's injury?

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm gonna keep her for sure! Yes she is eating, and drinking.. I even got her an ear of corn today, and she loved it.. She laid there and ate like crazy.. As far as the pain goes, I'm not for sure what her pain level is, I just wanted to use aspirin as a preventative for pain. My friend just said she'll heal.. He has a farm, and raises his chickens for eggs, and to eat.. Me on the other hand, have them for pets.. I saw her yesterday, and went back today and asked him if I could have her.. He said he was not sure when the injury occurred, probably in the last couple of days.
I will make sure she is taken care of, she was walking just holding that leg up. But now I have her in a crate with food and water, so she can rest it.. I already named her Red...

Yeah, I'm gonna keep her for sure! Yes she is eating, and drinking.. I even got her an ear of corn today, and she loved it.. She laid there and ate like crazy.. As far as the pain goes, I'm not for sure what her pain level is, I just wanted to use aspirin as a preventative for pain. My friend just said she'll heal.. He has a farm, and raises his chickens for eggs, and to eat.. Me on the other hand, have them for pets.. I saw her yesterday, and went back today and asked him if I could have her.. He said he was not sure when the injury occurred, probably in the last couple of days.
I will make sure she is taken care of, she was walking just holding that leg up. But now I have her in a crate with food and water, so she can rest it.. I already named her Red...
Feel her leg,see if you can find the fracture/break. Give her an epsom salt soak for about 15-20 minutes,this is great for sprains/sore muscles,possibly it may be a sprain. Aspirin will help with swelling and pain relief. If you feel a break,you could try and splint leg,if the injury has only been couple of days it may help with healing. My chickens are all pets,so i understand how you feel. Give her some vitamins.

I actually thought about trying to wrap it.. I bought some wrap today that is "stick free" only sticks to itself. So I thought I would try it in the morning. I did feel it, and it's definitely broken, not sprained. I've just read that sometimes it does more harm than good to wrap, because they try to get the splint off.. I'll see how she is doing in the morning.. At least she is getting rest with plenty to eat!! I was so worried that she wouldn't be able to get to the food at my friends with all the other ones pushing her outta the way. I think she's gonna be ok, I just wish I could fix the leg!!!!
What kind of vitamins should I give her? and thank you very much for your replies!!

I actually thought about trying to wrap it.. I bought some wrap today that is "stick free" only sticks to itself. So I thought I would try it in the morning. I did feel it, and it's definitely broken, not sprained. I've just read that sometimes it does more harm than good to wrap, because they try to get the splint off.. I'll see how she is doing in the morning.. At least she is getting rest with plenty to eat!! I was so worried that she wouldn't be able to get to the food at my friends with all the other ones pushing her outta the way. I think she's gonna be ok, I just wish I could fix the leg!!!!
What kind of vitamins should I give her? and thank you very much for your replies!!
I would splint leg,if it has only been a couple of days it is worth a try,give her poly-vi-sol infant vitamins(without iron)couple of drops per day on her beak,so it rolls in her mouth.

I put a "make shift" splint on Red.. She seems to be doing very well! Eating like a horse, I think she's already gained a pound!! lol I hold her a couple times a day, and just pet her, she falls asleep in my lap..

I put a "make shift" splint on Red.. She seems to be doing very well! Eating like a horse, I think she's already gained a pound!! lol I hold her a couple times a day, and just pet her, she falls asleep in my lap..
She looks like a real sweetheart,it was her lucky day when you found/rescued her. Excellent that she is feeling better.

I just had to let you know my exciting news.. Red is getting so much better really quickly!!! I let her out of the dog crate, and she kinda roams the run. While sitting out there today, I noticed her trying to scratch for bugs. She was using that leg, granted she couldn't really do it, but she was trying!! YAY Then I went out tonight to put all the babies (I have 6 chicks about 2wks old) into the coop, Red came up to the ladder, and hopped up to the second rung. She let me pick her up and put her in the coop... First time she has been in there. She wanted to be with all the other girls! Made me so happy!!! I'm gonna leave the splint on for a couple more weeks, then I truly feel she will be almost normal. I just had to share!!!

Back
Top Bottom