Rescued Trash Hen not laying eggs. Will she ever?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by in2chickens, May 3, 2009.

1. in2chickens

in2chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Norco, CA
    Last September my husband rescued Sweetheart. She had been hit by a trash truck. When the driver brought the truck back to the yard at the end of the day, he brought it to the shop where my husband works. To their surprise she was still alive, battered, but alive.

He brought her home. I let her free range our yard and made her a box to nest in the shop. She made good use of it and gave me two eggs. They were both the size of marble but egg shaped.

Then the time changed and the days got short and the weather changed and it got colder. I had read that when the days get short, egg production goes down. So, since she had experienced so much trauma I just didnt think too much about it.

The time has changed again and still no eggs. She has fully recovered from the accident and has not signs of any permanent damage. She is the only hen in the coop at this time. I have chicks in the house I will be introducing to her soon.

Will she ever able to lay eggs?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    She may be old and past her prime.

Many hens just quit after they turn two.

3. bigcats

bigcats Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Well, she's a pretty girl anyway.

Thanks for taking her. Good story [​IMG]

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Is she getting 14 hours of light? But heck, she's a sweetie, and I'm so glad you rescued her.

5. Swbuda

Swbuda Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Temple TeXas
    She is beautiful..Just enjoy her as a "pet"! [​IMG]

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Yep, you got new ones coming and she's got tenure. She looks a treat as the yard matron. Let her do her thing.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with the others, but....are you sure she isn't laying elsewhere?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by