Rescued two baby chicks, now being bitten by something!!

farmchic87

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 23, 2014
Hi everyone, new to this site and looking abit of advice/info.

I rescued two baby chicks, I think about 4/5 days old from my husband's families farm that the mother wasn't taking care of, the poor things were freezing and left vulnerable. I have them in a cage in my utility room to keep warm etc but ever since I am getting bitten by something!! We have a dog but she is flead every 4 weeks. When I first handled one of the chicks I noticed a small cream coloured tiny thing crawling up my arm, I got rid of it but I now have 3/4 bites on me. I constantly feel something crawling on me but I'm not sure if it's just in my head cos I'm thinking about crawlies!! I thought they might be lice/mites so bought powder and spray for chickens and chicken housing and have been treating the chicks and their box.. Can these things live off humans/infest the house???

Any help be really appreciated xxx

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

How nice of you to rescue these baby chicks! But UGH...the creepy crawlies! I have never had this issue before. But yes, you need to dust them with either a poultry dust or you can even use something natural like Manna Pro's Poultry Protector. It is made from oils and other natural products. You can get this at feed stores or even walmart in the pet section.

Make sure to get down to the skin and not just on top of the feathers. Repeat the dust or spray every few days. Clean the brooder often.

They should stay close to the bird and not infest the house or you. They are more interested in the chickens than they are humans.

Good luck with your chicks!

Hi :) thank you so much for replying, I feel a little better seeing they won't linger on me long as the bites are pretty sore!! I have been dusting them all over (avoiding their eyes) but particularly under the wings as I read that's where mites love most. I had read some horror stories online on other sites with people having themselves and their homes infested by these mites or whatever they are so I was abit worried! They are lovely wee chicks, I'm hoping to get them on their feet and take them back to the coop at the farm when they are ready xx

oh my!!! Well I am sorry this happened but happy because now I know what to do if it happens to me!!! hope your bites go down.... my favorite thing to put on bites is Burt's Bees Res-Q Ointment.

That was some nerve - they had to bite you 3-4 times before realizing you weren't a chicken.
rant.gif
somad.gif
I would love to spray them up the kazoo. If they have lice/mites you have to assume they didn't receive good care and probably will have worms also. With you they have a chance to flourish. Bet they weren't getting decent feed either.

Thanks everybody!! They will be well cared for with me for sure, I am a very passionate animal lover :) I was just worrying whatever they were could live on me or infest the house as I have a weakened immune system and keep feeling something crawling on me!!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Hope you get those bugs under control!, good luck with the chicks! Lice that infect chickens may bite you, but won't live on people.

Hopefully that's all it is then. Do you know if mites are a different matter?xx

Back
Top Bottom