rescues - now what do I have?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by greensinger, May 6, 2009.

1. greensinger

greensinger New Egg

May 6, 2009
    Hey folks,

This is my first post to this forum, and much sooner than I expected, at that. I've been considering raising chickens for a while, but expected to put it off a year or two as I develop my gardens and food forest. Oh well! My friend sent out a mass email saying that her professor received six chicks as a prank, and would anyone like them? I don't even know if they're broilers or layers, let alone, breed, age or sex. I'm doing the best I can to give them the right amount of warmth, and they came with a feeder and a tray for water - will get the rest tomorrow. Can anyone offer some help in IDing them, though? Even a guess as to age would be extremely helpful.

This pics are of the box they came in - I've already put them into a somewhat larger one, and I'm starting on shredding the newspapers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for all help!

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    I would say they are close to 3 weeks old. by the look of their feathers.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I have no clue as to what they are, but [​IMG] from Washington.

Imp

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    The 2 browns in the first pic on the left hand corner looks like RIR's (rhode island reds)

5. greensinger

greensinger New Egg

May 6, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions - I'll be getting a thermometer today, so I can keep them at the appropriate temperature for three weeks old. With a large enough space, hopefully erring on the warm side will leave them with enough room to move away from the lamp if they want to.

We'll see whether I got ladies or gents soon enough, I guess...

6. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    yep, the brown ones look like RIRs to me! and pretty ones, too! they are great layers of large brown eggs. they also get fairly heavy and are an excellent dual purpose breed.

the other ones could be RIW (rhode island white) or white leghorns. possibly also gold sex links. if they have big,thick legs and are much fatter and heavier than the others they are likely Cornish cross.

i've never been great at guessing the breeds of lighter colored chicks. they are all very cute!

they seem pretty relaxed. you'll be addicted soon. once you start spending time with them it will be hard to imagine life without them [​IMG]

7. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Welcometo BYC. what a wonderful way to get started. I have no idea what they are, but I love the little brown one with white wings.

8. pattypenny

pattypenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2007
    I think red sex linked and if they are the white one are roosters and the red one are pullets.

9. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I doubt the whitish ones are Cornish X (meat birds) since by now meat birds would be noticeably bigger than the others.

Good luck!

10. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    I agree that they are sex links..if the red ones start laying within 17 weeks you will know for sure. But yes if they are the same age and the whites were broilers they would be a lot bigger by now...

The other option is that they are plain old feed store laying birds in which case I would say RIR on the three reds, White Rock on the off colored white one and cornish on the other two..... a feed store will not order straight run sex links because they would be left with nothing but roosters...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by