1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rescues

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Island Juli, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Island Juli

Island Juli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2016
    Got this beautiful bantam rooster today and 8 of his children. Some creep, not the lady who gave them to me, cut off his comb! :(

[​IMG]

Pullets or Cockerels on his children?

[​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Only one photo besides the first adult cock (gorgeous bird by the way) is showing, did you mean to upload more?

The one that is showing is a cockerel.

3. Island Juli

Island Juli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2016
    Thanks, we think he's pretty gorgeous! I've got 4 small silkie-mix hens that I think he would make beautiful babies with.

I only posted the one picture. They all pretty much look like the one in the picture. What makes it a cockerel so I can check the others? I'd hate to think I got all cockerels, but hey, they were free, so no loss other than food until I can sell them.

Thanks again-
    Juli

4. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    The Hackle feathers are those around the neck. On a cockerel/rooster they're long, thin and pointed. They also are rather loose around the neck. On a pullet, they're wider and have rounded tips and aren't loose.

Next are the Saddle feathers. They're also like the hackles; long, thin and pointed. They begin between the wings and drape to either side of the cockerel/rooster.

Sickle feathers are those long tail feathers that curl over on a male.

A cockerel or rooster will also carry himself a little differently than a pullet or hen. More upright. He'll also have longer, thicker legs and as he ages will grow spurs.

Cockerel combs and wattles will grow and redden faster than a pullet as well.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by