Rescuing a stray guinea hen-Q about inegrating with my chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by franklinchickens, Aug 31, 2010.

1. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Apparently there is a stray guinea hen wandering around the streets of a nearby neighborhood. It's not a safe place (stray dogs, etc.) and the neighbors are concerned about it. They've been leaving food out for it but no one there has any sort of coop. We are thinking of going over to get it and bringing it in with our 4 hens. We have a small backyard coop but it's big enough for at least 8 chickens. Does anyone have experience in bringing in guinea fowl with chickens?
    From other posts I see people can have them together but I'm not sure if it is a hen or a rooster, or if it is healthy (looks it from the picture). Are there diseases that can transfer and what should we watch out for? Guinea behaviors? Any info would be appreciated!

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Never had guineas, but surely someone on here has the experience. I'd still quarantine.

3. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Good luck catching it, they can be a bit on the "WILD" side.

I keep my guineas with my chickens, the only problem I have with mine are the males will sometimes chace the chickens away from the feeders to let his girl/s eat.

Keep us posted

4. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Turns out it is somewhat on the wild side - the neighborhood is trying to catch it. If they do - they are going to give me a call. I'll plan on quarantining it and keeping it in the run instead of free ranging until it figures out where it lives. This is assuming they can catch it. Apparently the neighbor who is feeding it can get kind of close to it now so she's going to keep working on it. We'll see!
    It would only be the one so hopefully no food issues (we have 2 feeders anyway).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by