1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rescuing baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lomaxdq, Apr 21, 2011.

1. lomaxdq

lomaxdq New Egg

Apr 21, 2011
    Just got back from the feed store. The post office had kept them in the A/C all night, and almost 100 were dead. There were four that were still alive. I brought them home, put them under a heat lamp, and gave them each a sip of Karo and water. However, three are flipped over on their backs and really don't want to swallow, much less eat mashed up egg. Am I going to lose them? What else could I do for them?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I'm so very sorry. Yes, the losses will be staggering. You're doing about all you can. What did the hatchery say about this? Will they stand behind the order, even though the post office is really at fault?

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Make sure the water is warm. A hair dryer to bring up body temp.
    Yogurt and crumbled boiled egg yolk.

4. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Do you have any Sav-A-Chik? Mix it in some water & put it in an eye dropper or syringe (no needle) & try to get them to drink it.
    You could also make a runny paste of chick feed & warm water.
    Oh, I so hope they make it. [​IMG]

5. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I have found that they are very dehydrated when they flip on their back after drinking. Go very slowly with the water. Maybe a tiny sip every hour or so for the first 4 hours and then give them free access to it.

6. Chihuahuamom444

Chihuahuamom444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Omg how horrible ! [​IMG]

7. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Use a hair dryer as stated above.

On low, keep your hand near or on the chicks at all times (this is the only way to be sure and NOT burn their skin - even on low a hair dryer can burn). Once the chicks breathing is back to normal and shows some movement, then place under a brooder light.

It can take up to 30 minutes to warm a "dead" cold chick back to life - I just had to do it last night myself. Had a broody jump out of the broody box and leave a single chick behind. When I found the chick, it was laying flat and cold. Chick is now back with mom and running around eating/drinking.

8. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Also a hot water bottle but not too hot. Gently rub it while you blow dry it, and feel for it's body temp. Chicks should be warm and if it isn't warm that is most likely the issue. I find a gentle massage helps the circulation, but not too much or too long--watch each bird individually and treat them individually.

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote:I had a batch of chicks shipped as 3 day olds and then delayed a day in the mail and all were alive. 4 hours after getting them on food and water we got a 4 inch rain in 2 hours flooding their building with icy cold water. They were soaked and dieing.
    A hair dryer used under 2 heat lamps brought them all back to life.

10. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    poor babies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by