Rescuing battery hens for adoption

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ChickieBooBoo, Dec 31, 2010.

1. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I seen this website ( http://www.humanefood.ca/adopt_a_hen.html ) and it gave me an idea. I can get battery hens for free here because my dad knows the huterite colony who has them. I could get like 15-20 spent laying hens and cared for them until they were well enough to be re-homed. My coop is split into 2 parts, one for my heritage layers and one was going to be for bantams. The bantams were just for something different, but I think I like this idea better. What do you think about it? Any suggestions?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's a noble thought, but realize that if you introduce these birds into your coop you risk the possibility of exposing your heritage birds to disease.

3. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:I would keep them seperate for a few weeks for sure, then slowly introduce them

4. impis

impis Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2010
    I think i'd be more worried about the ex batts getting disease from the birds who were used to living out, LOL!

I don't know about over there, but here in the UK, battery hens are inoculated against all manner of chicken illnesses and while they are definitely UNFIT when they come out of the cages, in terms of health, they're actually pretty good [if a bit bald]

We have a couple of charities here who deal with rehoming ex battery hens. They are collected from the farms in the mornings, transported to the holding areas, then their new owners collect them a couple of hours later.

We rehomed 3 ex batts just over a year ago. Very very sweet natured birds! And they soon got the hang of doing normal chicken things!

5. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    I have been involved with the Battery Hen Welfare Trust here in the Uk for a long time, and had 150 ex batts eighteen months ago.... yep they are bald and don't really walk that well when they are first "released" but after a couple of months they look fantastic.... they still lay but just not as often as a younger bird.. I would say go for it.. just isolate them as usual from your own flock... and THANKS for helping them (((hugs))))

6. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:Thank you for the encouragement, I'll post pics of them when I get them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by