Rescuing Lost Chicken with Many Missing Feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Porch Chickens, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Porch Chickens

Porch Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Hi, A couple of days ago a neighbor brought this hen to me thinking it might be one of mine. It's not mine. Hard to tell in this photo, but it's completely bald on the back and tops of it's wings (shoulders?) That shoulder area is very red, but skin is intact. I think it may be sunburned, actually. It looks like it may have been badly picked on by other chickens or a rooster? I thought it might be an old beat up, non-laying chicken that's been abandoned, so imagine my surprise when it layed the most beautiful blue green egg for me! I have other Easter Eggers, and this new girl lays a super-pretty shiny egg like one of my others does. So, if we can get her introduced successfully to the others we will keep her. assuming nobody claims her of course. She's already been posted as "found" by two other people on our neighborhood website (they were not equipped to care for chickens) and so far nobody has come forward to claim her, so I won't try too hard to find her owner if she's laying such pretty eggs.; )
    I'm assuming her feathers won't come back until after she molt's again, right?
    I worry it's going to make it harder to introduce her to the flock looking so picked on. She's a mess, looks-wise, but seems healthy and has no mites. I have her in my old smaller chicken coop in my run area, so the others can come out and see her during the day while they forage around in the bushes (I have 8 other birds-- 3 of them only 3 months old), but they are separated by chicken wire. Hoping after a while they willl forget she wasn't just always there. Any tips are appreciated!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Looks like rooster treading to me.
    And yes, you are right, most likely will not grow back feathers until molt.

Keep her separated to monitor her for an illnesses such a respiratory issues, etc.
    Sun burn could be a problem so you can use a chicken saddle to cover the area until the feathers come back in, for raw areas a little plain neosporin, vetericyn, etc.

Using a "see but don't touch" approach with integration hopefully you will be successful. Search here on BYC there are numerous articles/threads, ones by @azygous are really good.

3. Porch Chickens

Porch Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2013
    Thanks so much-- I will take your advice and search for more.: )
    We aren't allowed roosters in our area, but there are some people who keep them-- or maybe she was dumped here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by