Researching Chicken Laws in Sumter County FL

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MaidenShade, Aug 20, 2019.

1. MaidenShade

MaidenShade Chirping

Mar 16, 2013
    Hi, not a new member but a returning one. We are looking for property, but I want to make sure we can have chickens before buying. I've looked on the Sumter County website - but I can't find any information on there. Can anyone help? TYIA

2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hi. Have you called the clerks office and asked?

3. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Welcome back to BYC. Good advice above - fingers crossed you find some info.

4. Hobbits Mommie

Hobbits Mommie Songster

Sep 21, 2018
    Lakeland, FL
    I looked up your county ordinances (you're not far from me). I'll paste the info below, but it probably depends on how much land you have so that you can follow the buffering guidelines.

Sec. 13-640. - Farm and non-farm animals.
    Share Link to section Print section Download (Docx) of sections Email section
    (a)

Intent and purpose. Farm and non-farm animals in agricultural and rural residential zones are permissible as a permitted or special use where indicated by use Table 13-431A. In addition to the other provisions of this chapter, it is the intent and purpose of this section to provide for such animals in a manner which will benefit agricultural uses while having the least possible adverse impact to other land uses.

(b)

Animal densities, buffers and shelters.

(1)

Densities.

a.

For purposes of computing densities of animals, the land area in which the animals are confined shall be used rather than the gross area of the parcel upon which the animals are located.

b.

Offspring of any of the permitted animals shall not be computed initially as additional animals; provided however, that when any such offspring reach a stage where they are capable of sustaining life independently of the mother animal, or when they become three (3) months old, whichever occurs first, they must be relocated to other eligible sites within thirty (30) days unless the size of the confining area permits the number of animals to be accommodated without exceeding the density allowed.

(2)

Buffers.

a.

Where animals are confined at densities which require special use approval, a minimum buffer distance of fifty (50) feet shall be provided between the animal confinement area and the property lines of adjoining residential, commercial and institutional parcels. This buffer may be increased by the special use approving authority.

b.

Shelters, pens or corrals (except loading pens) temporarily housing more than five (5) livestock or ten (10) fowl shall be located a minimum of two hundred (200) feet from any residence on adjoining property and one hundred (100) feet from the property line of any adjoining property designated residential, commercial or institutional.

(c)

Exemptions. The provisions of this section shall not apply to household pets. Alligators shall also be exempted when farmed in accordance with the FAC Chapter 68A-25.004, as may be amended, "Regulations Governing the Operation of Alligator Farms."

(Ord. No. 2015-17, § 3(Exh. A), 9-22-15; Ord. No. 2016-06, § 3C, 4-26-16)

5. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie Gallus gallus domesticus

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    Sumter co is south of us here in Marion Co.
    Lots of rural land there. The only anti chicken peeps will be in gated communities (HOA) like the Villages etc. I have friends & associates there.. all have birds.

6. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Partially Enlightened

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Welcome back.

7. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Crossing the Road

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello and welcome back to Byc!

007Sean, Pork Pie, fldiver97 and 7 others like this.
  8. N F C

N F C Champion

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    smiley welcome back.gif

Looks like you have some good info from @Hobbits Mommie. Best of luck with your property search!

9. Claires Poultry

Claires Poultry Free Ranging

Mar 24, 2019
    Beach, ND
    Hello and welcome back to active posting! :)
    We're glad to have you here with us! :ya

10. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome Back to our FUNomenal Community! :celebrate Best wishes and have lots of fun! :wee

007Sean, Pork Pie, fldiver97 and 6 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: