Researching Diseases and Breeds

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lisa Wood, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Lisa Wood

Lisa Wood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2016
    AIKEN, South Carolina
    Hi everyone! I have just joined, and I am currently in research mode for breeds and chicken diseases. My first question is, if I pick up chicks infected with Mereks, what can happen to my Goffin Cockatoo? If I bring home eggs that need hatching, is that guarantee that they are Mereks free?
    Thanks Ya'll! Who would I ask if not for this list?

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may want to start by checking out the "Mareks threads" just put that in the search box and it will pop up. I am not very knowledgeable about the disease, but, have read that it is everywhere. The vaccination has to be done at 1 day old, it doesn't prevent Marek's but, the chicks may have a lighter attack. Survivors carry it for their lifetime.

Some chicken folks also have exotic cage birds as well - so I imagine asking your questions also on the "caged bird forum," may give you info on that aspect. [​IMG]

4. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! Marek's Disease is mainly in poultry so I think your Cockatoo is safe for the most part. They still might be able to get it but more resistant than other poultry. Marek's Disease is usually spread through contact. It could possibly live on the egg. It would just be best to cull any birds that show symptoms or test positive for Marek's. It's a nasty disease and best to end the misery now and to prevent further spread.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    First off, don't buy sick chicks. Period. Secondly, if you buy chicks from a feed store or a hatchery, they will not likely have Marek's. You can also order vaccinated chicks. It won't prevent all types of Marek's but it will protect against the most severe forms.
    You can prevent your flock from contracting Marek's by practicing good biosecurity.

1 person likes this.
  6. Lisa Wood

Mar 6, 2016
    AIKEN, South Carolina
    Thanks so much for all the responses to my question! I have also confirmed with my parrot expert here in Columbia, that Mereks will not infect parrots. Now I am trying to pick some breeds that will become a non-violent, freindly flock. I have heard that the birds who look markedly different from the majority will be picked on.

7. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Black Australorps and Sex Links are very calm and friendly chickens.

8. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us!

9. Lisa Wood

Mar 6, 2016
    AIKEN, South Carolina
    Sex Link? Is that a breed?

10. Lisa Wood

Mar 6, 2016
    AIKEN, South Carolina
    Hi again! My husband has been working on the coop with repurchased material. It is raised off the ground. How will young chinks know how to use the ladders?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by