Reservations on letting my young racers out for first time--Please Help!

LamarshFish

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 26, 2015
A bit of brief background: I got squeakers from good racing lines about 4 weeks ago, and at that time they were about 3-4 weeks old, so they're about 2 months old now. They are my first pigeons.

I've fed them twice a day, about the amount they can consume in 15 mins, and each time I feed them I shake the can and blow a whistle, and they know what the can and whistle are now, I can tell by there reaction.

They have one large aviary on the side my loft, and they use it a lot, and seem very familiar with their surroundings from that perspective. The front of my loft is where the trap door and bobs are, but there is no aviary on the front of my loft, so I built a temporary aviary there so they can learn the bob door and so they can get a front view from the loft and learn those surroundings as well. I put the temporary aviary on the front door every morning, and take it off each evening, and the pigeons use both aviaries throughout the day. They comfortably stand on the bob door's small landing platform, and go in and out of the door no problem.

HOWEVER, my young racers are still quite afraid of me. They don't fly away or freak out when I go inside the loft, but if my hands get any closer than about 6" from them, they start squeaking and moving about, which I think is generally normal for pigeons. But, making matters perhaps worse, last night I got their leg bands in the mail which have my phone number on them (took some time for them to be made), and I decided to put them on my birds. The ONLY other time I've ever handled my birds was the day I got them, when I put their ID number bands (numbers 1-6 just to identify them) on their other leg. When I went to put my telephone number bands on the opposite leg of the ID band last night, they seemed pretty scared of me, and, although I was able to pick each one of them up and affix the other leg band on pretty quickly, each one of them not only squeaked when I did it, but also grunted/growled as well, and gave a bit of a struggle. When I put each back down after putting the leg band on, they seemed pretty scared, but they were fine, just seemed a bit rattled up. This morning, things seemed to be business as usual with them, not too scared of me, but a bit more wary perhaps than usual probably due to the leg banding last night.

My question is, although I know my timing is fine (4 weeks in my loft) to let them out for the first time (not taking them far, literally just opening the loft door for them to exit and explore my yard as they please), do you think that the leg banding last night will cause problems? Will them being a bit more scared of me from banding them last night cause any issues? I already know to stay away from them when they're out of the loft exploring for the first time and avoid scaring them, and I plan on letting them out about 2.5 hours before dark, and I didn't feed them this morning, only gave them a few peanuts as treats, so they will be hungry tonight when I let them out.

Do you think, in spite of what I said above, that it is still alright to go through with my plan to let them out for the first time tonight?

Thanks!

OK, First it takes courage to let them out the first time. I don't see what you could have done differently. On the plus side, one of your first birds is successful 1st time out. Hope is not yet lost on the other 2 to get them back. I'm sure the experienced flyers will jump in to help you. If it was me I'd take a deep breath and build on my success, small as it is. I'd let the bird that returned out again, either alone or with another bird and hope for the best.

PS You could consider taping the wings so they can't fly big at first, since your birds are obviously fearless.

You did everything correctly.. I am surprised the birds flew off.

If the place you got them from is close to your home I suggest you check with the old owner if they returned there.

It's quite possible that when you let the rest out and they start flying around the lost ones will see them and come back.

I had some of my young birds fly off for over a week before coming back... very hungry!!!

Wish you good luck with the others coming back to your loft.

Thanks! I am inclined to let one or two out soon to try to lure the missing two in, but I am reluctant to do so, my confidence is sort of down.

I spoke with the guy I got them from the other night. He is a trusted friend, and told me that those squeakers never once left his loft to fly at all, and that he thinks it's extremely unlikely they'd come back to his loft. He is about 75 miles away from me..... In any event, I still described the leg bands I put on them, and I know if they return to his loft he'd surely let me know (not that I'd want them back after doing that though, but would just be nice to know, plus I'm sure he'd give me another two young squeakers for free).

I will keep you all posted! I appreciate the advice!

Last edited:
Great job Lamarsh.. make sure that you let the bird that was out already and returned to the coop go out again with the other birds. If a bird flies away then comes back and hits your roof, through a little feed or some grit on your board by the trap ;)
Good luck!!!
One day I'm going to share a few old tricks with you but your learning properly and doing great
Pat yourself on the back, you advanced to breaking birds in.
If the same thing happens again, put the birds in a carrier I need the coop, leave the door of the coop open and put a light on in the coop
Keep up the good work. I'm sorry you lost those 2 ... I've lost hundreds :) I wish I was there to help you

Quote:
LamarshFish
My question is, do you think that the leg banding last night will cause problems? Racing pigeons in particular do not like to be handled period. Will them being a bit more scared of me from banding them last night cause any issues? No I didn't feed them this morning, only gave them a few peanuts as treats, Wise

Do you think, that it is still alright to go through with my plan to let them out for the first time tonight? Yes... I would just release half of the flock at a time.

Now I'm concerned about letting my remaining 4 out (one of which was already out, but came back in).

All homing pigeons are not created equal. I would not worry too much your birds still can hear your loft and in a perfect world should still return.
If they do not they were poor genetic material and you are better off with out them.
I would only let your grounded bird out for now until your confused birds return. Let him get acquainted with the surroundings he will serve as a role model for your remaining flock. If you see your lost pigeons let your grounded bird out on top of your loft to serve as a drop bird to entice your wayward birds back home. If you had done this while the confused birds were still on your roof I think you would have had a positive out come.

Your bird that returned is safe now to let out anytime in my opinion for a loft flight.

Rattling a feed can will definitely get their attention also.

I would not give up hope yet there is still a very good chance your birds will return.
This happens to all new loft start ups and usually ends with the return of the birds after 4 to 5 days.

This is a method some fanciers employ to let there birds get used to trapping and prevent losses on their first excursions.

Last edited:
My only problem is that I don't know which of the remaining 4 was the one that was let out and returned.
Now this I see as unfortunate:rolleyes:.

So you haven't let anyone out since Friday? If you open the trap, what are the odds 1st bird out is the experienced one?

I do have a feeling the one that was out was #4. I think it's possible if I open the bob door the one that was out before steps out first, but they have been eating today so I can't try it yet.

#1 and #5 are still missing.

Good thing they're not cooing yet which I think is part of the mating display. If they aren't yet breeding age at least that won't entice them to stay with the ferals. Can't believe the Lamarsh Loft menu plan doesn't compare favorably with the ferals diet! :fl

Part of my concern is the fact that we have quite a few ferals where I live. It is a semi urban area. There is a huge zoo about a mile a away. Quite a few live there, presumably because there's food and water there. Funny to think my pigeons could be over there landing on or near some giraffe lol.

A related concern of mine is the fact that my loft is in my backyard, in the corner, and there's lots of trees around, making it not very visible from above. But the two that are missing spent most of their time the first evening out on my roof, taking laps around my neighborhood and then landing back on my roof over and over. I'm hoping they were routing and remembering my house and roof, and view of the loft they came from....

Why has # 4 not been allowed out again? He was a good boy/or girl and is being punished for the bad behavior of his mates? Is he at least getting an extra ration of peanuts? I says this at the risk of being personally responsible for the loss of all your birds!:oops:. Since I have followed so attentively I feel like I have a stake in their success. It is nerve racking but from here it looks like you are minimizing your progress and magnifying your setbacks;). Keep going, please.

I am going to wait a few weeks before letting any out again. I will be gone this weekend out of town anyways, so I won't have much time. Next scheduled time to let my pigeons out will be next weekend. I will be feeding plenty of peanuts in the meantime to increase incentive for them to come home. Next time I will also make sure they are even hungrier before letting them out, and will also sprinkle food near the loft so they have an incentive to first hang around the yard for a while. The immediate routing and flying done by #1 and #5, although entertaining to watch, IMO was not ideal. What #4 (maybe #3, not sure) did, just going outside the loft on my grass to peck at the ground, and then return back into the loft through the bob door, I think that was the ideal situation for a first time release. Everything can't be perfect though.

Hoping to come home from work tonight to all 6 of my pigeons.

You did everything correctly.. I am surprised the birds flew off.

If the place you got them from is close to your home I suggest you check with the old owner if they returned there.

It's quite possible that when you let the rest out and they start flying around the lost ones will see them and come back.

I had some of my young birds fly off for over a week before coming back... very hungry!!!

Wish you good luck with the others coming back to your loft.

Back
Top Bottom