Residential v commercial zoning

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by morganmo1, Jan 23, 2015.

1. morganmo1

morganmo1 New Egg

Jan 23, 2015
    Tempe, AZ
    Hi All,
    My daughter's Montessori daycare has agreed to allow me to move a couple of chickens into their facilities, provided it is not against city ordinances. The school is located on church grounds. I know Tempe, AZ allows residential chickens, but I'm not sure if that would extend to a church? Any info would be appreciated!

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Check with city hall. OH AND
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Since it is a preschool, it is the health department that will be the issue, not the city. FWIW, you can check the church's zoning, but it is probably the same as surrounding properties. Being a church doesn't make it commercial; churches are an allowed use in residential zoning. The zone map is online, as is zoning code.

4. morganmo1

morganmo1 New Egg

Jan 23, 2015
    Tempe, AZ
    Thanks for the response. I will check the map. I had t thought of the health board being an issue, but we have toured other schools in with free-range chickens (different cities), so I am hoping it is ok.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    All I know is the preschool that hatches eggs from my birds is not supposed to have chickens due to health regulations. Now that is the PRESCHOOL side of the school. The grade school side can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by