Residual Sneezing?

hokankai

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2010
SW WA
So my chicks got over some kind of respiratory sickness a couple of weeks ago. This week I put them on Denagard for 5 days because they were still sneezing a bit and I found one of the silkies with bubbles in her eyes...but they disappeared an hour later. Anyway, the Denagard did nothing. Does that mean this was viral? Also, should I be worried about the residual sneezing? The only ones that do it are the bantam chicks in the brooder, the standard chicks in the coop with the broody have not been sneezing.

Is this normal and is there anything else I can do about it? They don't have any other symptoms.

*bump* they're still doing it...is it just something they're going to do from now on?

Oh, and also my runt banty chick tends to breath in through her mouth when she gets stressed/picked up/falling asleep...is this a problem?

Chickens and other birds will pant like a dog does, thats why she's breathing through her mouth when she's stressed (picking up would count). Not sure why she would when falling asleep though.

I've heard of chickens "yawning" alot when they have gapeworm, could that be what the 'breath' is?

Can't help with bubbles etc. Don't know
hu.gif

You can put Grapefruit seed extract in their water, it has anti-fungal, anti-biotic, anti-viral properties which might help them. It helped my 9 week old D'uccle get over her sneezing. I also gave her a natural mucus relief product made with ivy leaf extract that's made for human babies, I gave her like... half a drop with a syringe straight into her mouth morning and night. That stopped her sounding snotty pretty quick. I wouldn't personally give the natural cough syrup to really young chicks though, because they would need a ridiculously teenie tiny amount...

Good luck getting them better

Back
Top Bottom