Resin Coop Ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Wise Woman, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    My husband took a new job which is currently having him work 7 days a week, from 5 am until about 9 am. So he will not be able to build the coop for me that I had designed. I thought about hiring someone to do it, but at $25 per hour, that would make it way too expensive. My husband is dead set on getting a resin shed and making a coop out of that. So I have to re-think and re-design everything. I have the shed picked out and will probably go to pick it up this weekend.

It will be set up on a base of railroad ties. I am going to put it in the same place I had planned to build one, so it will be in the shade of a large oak tree in the summer and get the southern sun in the winter. It has windows in the doors and on both sides. It is the one from Home Depot. I will remove the plexiglass and install hardware cloth. Come winter, I will figure out a way to attach "storm windows" in case I would need to close some of them off in a storm. I would like them to be on hinges along the bottom of the windows so they lay flat against the coop walls when not in use. Husband is going to try to get a day off to build the covered run once the shed is up. The covered run will still butt up against the big run as I had planned originally. If he can get the frame up, then my daughter and I can install the hardware cloth, I think.

I do have a couple questions about using a resin coop vs a wooden one. One question is about the shed roof. Do they hold up in snow or should I have husband extend the roof of the run over the shed? It will probably be a plywood roof covered in either shingles or corrugated metal roofing. We can get up to 3 ft of snow at a time where we live and it can be very wet and heavy. It breaks the branches off of trees and I am afraid of what it will do to a shed roof. Or is it better to re-enforce if from the inside with 2 x 4's?

The double front doors will be inside the run, so I won't have to cut any pop doors into the shed, except maybe one in the door so I could keep the big door closed at night or in really bad weather. In the coop I designed, I had external nest boxes planned. I don't want to hack up the shed walls that much, and I was wondering if anyone built nest boxes and installed them in front of one of the shed doors so that you can just open the door and get the eggs without entering the coop? Since the shed is 7' x 7' and there are double doors on the front, I figured I could build a set of nest boxes, like a bookshelf, and have them fit from the edge of one door to the wall. I am thinking of making community nesting boxes and making about 4 rows of them. That way they could choose a lower box or a higher box. We currently have two rows, but I think having 4 would be ok too. I would put perches on the outside so they could fly up to the perch and then go into the nest box from the perch. I think I could even have the nest boxes built to extend outside of the door like an external nest box and fit right into the door frame. But again, I am not sure if this is a good idea or not. Putting the outside would free up some extra space in the coop as wellThe other door would be used for going in and out.

The roosts will be along the back wall that is opposite the doors. They will run from wall to wall and I will put in at least 3, possibly 4 if I have enough space. I thought by having the nest boxes on the front wall, it would give me more room for roosts. I would like to try to fit a brooder box under the roosts. There will be a poop hammock to catch all the poo, so that won't be falling onto the brooder. It would be accessed from the front and have doors lined with hardware cloth so they could all see each other. The food, water and forage station will still be out in the covered run as I had planned, along with a water faucet for easy watering.

I will also be putting a 1 x 6 board across the inside of the door that opens to keep the sand inside. It will be hinged to the nestbox so I can swing it out for easy cleaning. Have I forgotten anything? How have you designed the inside of your resin coop? Any and all thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  2. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    Thank you for the links, however, I have already searched and read those threads. I was hoping for some more specific information from people who use resin sheds as coops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by