Resin shed 8x6 $389

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jmeeter88, Sep 10, 2008.

1. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    How tough would it be to add a chicken door in the resin wall? Also with the skylights would it get hot inside during the summer? Those would be my 2 concerns about the shed without having done any homework.

If you want to buy a nice shed there are some Mennonites about 10 miles south on route 12 that have chickens and sell sheds. They probably could make you a nice 8x6 coop for about the same price.

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    We bought one last year and its under the canoe now. Nobody wants to set it up lol.

4. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I have one and if you have a SawsAll, you just get the blade for cutting plastic and you're good to go. I cut window holes for air circulation, then screwed the screens into the vinyl walls. It worked great. I cover the screens with plastic sheeting for winter warmth. We have temps down to the teens and I do not heat it. I can even leave the door hole open year round for access to the run and for winter ventilation (they roost up high and close together for warmth).

Here are pictures of my resin shed coop so you can compare. PS mine was a pre-used gift from my dad, but he paid around the same, though our floor is plywood:

Outside before we cut holes and added window screens:
    [​IMG]

Outside after adding window screens:
    [​IMG]

Inside:
    [​IMG]

5. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    Thanks for the pictures dangerouschicken. It is nice to know that there is another person out there successfully using a resin shed!

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I use Royal Outdoor shed and loved it! had horse rubber matting down and viola, got instant coop and its wonderful. Still going strong at five years old! I wash it down with brush and mop and its a snap to clean out.

Its made out of vinyl, not resin.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Dangerous, I am very certain you got a Royal Outdoor shed also......according to the Royal Outdoor shed website, they NO longer carry that type of shed anymore....its the thicker walls now. The only one that have that thin of walls is the four by seven shed (the one I got) and hubby's shed is the Windchester. Remember folks, dont let that wall thickness fooled you. We have endured high winds and heavy snows and they DO withstand alot here in the Midwest weathers. Even they have survived thru two tornadoes!

The windows, we cut out with a sawzall and screwed it in also. I removed the door and made a hardware screen door instead. In winter I replace that back up or cover the door if moisture is too heavy for them to deal with.Hubby made the windows by using a one by one wood frame and get one of those vinyl screen frames with glass and screen and you just put it on the wooden frame and nail the frame window to the shed. Its great!

Never an issue about the heat either, just put a fan in it if it is too hot if you dont ahve enough windows.

Royal Outdoor wanted folks to display the sheds to the website and people can use them for their own uses. I have emailed to the person on the website and they were really impressed with one of our BYCer that did the first Royal Outdoor shed with all the bells and whistles on it and mine when we had it brand new.

My next shed will be another Windchester or somethign bigger! [​IMG]

8. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Yeah? Maybe it is all vinyl and not just resin. I'm a silly girl and it was free from my daddy. What do I know? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I would LOVE to have a free shed like that one!!!!!!! Youre lucky!!!!!!!!!!!

10. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Oh I am really truly lucky. You are right about that [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by