Resin shed reuse

Macchick

Chirping
May 7, 2021
We are repurposing a resin shed we had on our property ( moved in just this last fall). I found the idea from this group. I noticed that the shed has some small areas of light peeking through, not huge but of course not airtight. Is this a concern for rodents? And what about wind and drafts? Would love some insight on this. Our chicks are still inside brooder. We can’t put them out yet as the weather in Colorado is still iffy.

Do you have photos?

You should make sure that all gaps are filled up, but there should still be adequate ventilation. Roosts should be below ventilation (Ideally ventilation is as high as possible) and nesting boxes should be somewhere below the roosts, so that they don't sleep in them. If you want, you could make the top of the boxes into a poop board, and put your roost on top of that, depending on how many birds you have.

Generally, air "leakage" is not a problem. Drafts are a problem. Most resin sheds in factory condition have plenty of leakage (not a concern), no drafts to speak of at heights which are problems for your birds (roosting/nesting height), and essentially no ventilation. The first thing most do converting resin is cutting big holes in it, high up.

If you can see light, but not feel a breeze on a moderate wind day, you are fine, leave it alone. Rodents aren't a concern - they will just chew thru whatever sized hole they feel they need - a pencil width's visible light isn't the issue, the toilet paper roll sized hole is.

Post some pictures, we'll see if we can't offer recommends on where to locate ventilation. Also, your location (with as much specificity as you are willing to provide, so we have some idea of climate considerations), dimensions, planned flock size.

We are repurposing a resin shed we had on our property ( moved in just this last fall). I found the idea from this group. I noticed that the shed has some small areas of light peeking through, not huge but of course not airtight. Is this a concern for rodents? And what about wind and drafts? Would love some insight on this. Our chicks are still inside brooder. We can’t put them out yet as the weather in Colorado is still iffy.
As long as the gaps are less than 1/2" don't worry about them. It's good ventilation.
You undoubtedly will need to add much more ventilation.
Please provide pictures for suggestions on how and where to add it.

As long as the gaps are less than 1/2" don't worry about them. It's good ventilation.
You undoubtedly will need to add much more ventilation.
Please provide pictures for suggestions on how and where to add it.

Attachments

• DAFA2DBE-BCD6-4FEF-B3B3-6BDDF7F85EAF.jpeg
    DAFA2DBE-BCD6-4FEF-B3B3-6BDDF7F85EAF.jpeg
    536.2 KB · Views: 24
  • F559C6B5-D037-4A70-BC5B-C3F59CBA9648.jpeg
    F559C6B5-D037-4A70-BC5B-C3F59CBA9648.jpeg
    639.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 41BCFC68-163F-4BAA-893F-6F3CCA14AB27.jpeg
    41BCFC68-163F-4BAA-893F-6F3CCA14AB27.jpeg
    683.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 4BC1E12D-7950-44AF-A9D4-2780DB677271.jpeg
    4BC1E12D-7950-44AF-A9D4-2780DB677271.jpeg
    855.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 15FAD01D-CF7E-4791-ABBF-282F85FEB544.jpeg
    15FAD01D-CF7E-4791-ABBF-282F85FEB544.jpeg
    792.2 KB · Views: 25
  • C9C9E90A-41BF-4DD9-930A-213E5097FCB1.jpeg
    C9C9E90A-41BF-4DD9-930A-213E5097FCB1.jpeg
    751.2 KB · Views: 24
We have cage covered vent holes on each side at top. Can add more if needed. There is a small window on one side that can be opened. And doggy door converted to let them out , we added a hook so it doesn’t fall down, but door latches close when completely closed - I currently lock them in at night and close window for safety. All 6 are roosting on the two bars and so far seem to be doing well! We are in Colorado. Nice and dry, cool at night. Expect snow drifts and wind in winter, but coop is near trees and house so some shelter. And I did not want to travel far during winter to get eggs! My husband did all the work! He used an extra piece of plywood bolted on inside to attach nest boxes. We covered them so they don’t sleep in there, as they are not mature enough to lay eggs yet!

I currently lock them in at night and close window for safety.
They need ventilation 24/7/365.
Cover any openings with 1/2" HC for predator protection.

We are in Colorado.
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1626609075911.png

How many birds is this intended to house?
You need A LOT more ventilation. The plastic covers over the vents won't stop anything from chewing through if they can get up there. I guess that's one advantage of a resin shed: it's slippery.
That's also an extremely small run with no protection from snow. And cleaning it is going to be a headache, let alone trying to shovel it out when you have a snow storm. Do you intend to free range at all?

Back
Top Bottom