resisting to walk, happy lying down Pyncheon pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by darbella, Jan 8, 2010.

1. darbella

darbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire
    asking another forum. no replies on this thread here.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  2. darbella

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire
    see above post.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  3. darbella

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:here is my original post asking about if anyone has ever wxperienced this, as you can see, it got no responses and that is why I posted on the swaps thread because my chicken "people" are allways chatting and helping each other thee, and the post did get answers there.

4. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    [​IMG] Sorry you didn't get a reply. Not sure why your chicken would refuse to walk or stand either? Sometimes if I don't have an answer I don't reply because I can't help. I would like to know what was wrong and if you were able to correct the problem though. [​IMG]

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    legs working? can it walk or stand? is it broody?

6. darbella

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire
    No, she is too young to be broody, is not even laying yet. She is trying harder to walk the last couple days. I did buy the Hyoercium tablets that I had read about here to disolve in distilled water, but forgot to pick up the distilled water! So tomorrow, she will begin that treatment and I will see whta happens. She is trying like heck! I have noticed an aweful lot of posts recently regarding the lameness of hens, trouble standing or walking....wonder why???

7. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    sounds like it is mareks if it is ative but unable to move. I would do the stjohns wart like you have gotten (yes the distilled water is a must) and build a chicken sling so that it can have its feet touching the floor but not be sitting in its own mess also in the sling I think they heal faster.

8. darbella

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Well, day 2 of the st. johns wart and I see an improvement allready. She is now standing and walking over to where I put her food dish, but rests on her "hocks" when eating but at least is holding her body upright. I am not sure if you saw my question about if it was Mareks. I have her in a large clear rubbermaid tub, on pine shavings. She is in a room in my basement that doesnt get cold, lowest probably 60 degrees. I also have about 10 other birds in there in cages toll spring comes because they were starting to get frostbote on their combs, but they have all neen together in that room for about 4 months now. The other birds are all healthy as can be, so if it were Mareks, would they catch it from beong in her vacinity???

9. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:Well, day 2 of the st. johns wart and I see an improvement allready. She is now standing and walking over to where I put her food dish, but rests on her "hocks" when eating but at least is holding her body upright. I am not sure if you saw my question about if it was Mareks. I have her in a large clear rubbermaid tub, on pine shavings. She is in a room in my basement that doesnt get cold, lowest probably 60 degrees. I also have about 10 other birds in there in cages toll spring comes because they were starting to get frostbote on their combs, but they have all neen together in that room for about 4 months now. The other birds are all healthy as can be, so if it were Mareks, would they catch it from beong in her vacinity???

ye but it is in the dander so they have probably been exposed already eventually all chickens are exposed to Mareks so I would not worry about it how old are the birds?

10. darbella

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire

ye but it is in the dander so they have probably been exposed already eventually all chickens are exposed to Mareks so I would not worry about it how old are the birds?

Hi, the other birdsa ar all upwards of 6 months and laying and show no signs of anything at all being wrong. Believe me, there is dust everywhere in this room I have them in, I clean it and 3 days later it is covered again like it was a volcano eruption! LOL...Is ther a danger to me breathing this dust as I clean, also, I saw this morning that it is even on the walls. So today after work, I am on a clean up mission!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by