resisting urge to go outside with a flashlight

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crazytxchickenlady, May 6, 2011.

1. crazytxchickenlady

crazytxchickenlady New Egg

Apr 17, 2011
    the chickies first night in the coop! They are approx 7 wks on Monday. It just got dark and I am having to really fight the urge to go "check"! I guess for better or worse they have to be chickens and not pets. We've done everything we should have, so they will be fine...right?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yup. They'll be fine. Honest.

But it wouldn't hurt to check just ONCE before you finally go to sleep... just to check for predators, of course.

(Been there, done that!)

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    You are right to resist the urge (although i do personally understand the urge to check). Once it gets dark, chickens kind of go into a stupor state, so if you went out there you would probably just scare them. They will get used to their new coop quickly.

4. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    U'll sleep better if u check on them at least once b4 u go to bed...and what do u mean they aren't pets??? [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. crazytxchickenlady

crazytxchickenlady New Egg

Apr 17, 2011
    Oh they are pets alright!! I'm just trying to convince myself to detach a little. It's so devastating to lose one![​IMG]

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Mine are out too for the first time. I checked and they are in the same spot when I left. I sat in there until they settled to sleep.

7. Sandy16

Sandy16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    check them once before you go to bed and then trust in all of the preparation that you made before tonight. I am sure that they will be fine and tomorrow morning you will have grown up chicks!!!
    [​IMG]
    PS - we felt the EXACT same way as you do the first night our girls were outside alone. I think that everyone has experienced this. It is natural and I'd wonder if you didn't feel this way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by