Respectful chicken harvest video....graphic detail

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jamband, Aug 7, 2011.

1. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Not sure if you all have seen this but I think it a good video of respectful chicken harvest. Its 2 parts the first is harvest 2nd mostly butchering.

I have seen some discussion on whether its really more humane to hold and "calm" (differing view points) the bird or just be quick about it.

2. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Excellent videos, thanks for sharing them!

3. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    Thank you for these. I have read the instructions, and even watched a few videos, but these were great. The killing of the chicken is the hardest part for me and to watch it done as she does it, made it tolerable, especially when she was teary eyed afterwards. Again thank you, these will be a reference for me.

4. LittleDarlings

LittleDarlings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Madison, GA
    Great videos!! I have only seen still photos, step-by-step which was great, but this was Amazing!! I love the simplicity and compassion she has when she does this. Thank you for sharing!

5. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I am really glad you guys watched and enjoyed. I thought she did a good job with everything and I really really like her compassion and the simplicity of.....and I forget the exact quote but the notion that if you look at nature long enough you realize that when anything eats something else dies.

Also I would highly suggest if you can find someone in your area willing to teach you how do it. I just learned recently from some very kinds farmers and actually doing it really helps the process make sense.

I just figured this video could really help some folks like it helped me.

6. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Thank you for these links, I've sub'd to this thread for future viewing. I'm also hoping to watch and help someone local process before I try on my own.

7. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Wow, great demonstration. I must say though, the hen appeared to have an internal infection... Don't know that I would have put a yolk from inside that bird anywhere near my mouth while it was raw...

But she seemed to do a great job and do it with some care. Thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by