Respecting The Stick

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CapeReds, Sep 12, 2011.

1. CapeReds

CapeReds Out Of The Brooder

Our 15 year old son, the Chief Herder, discovered the virtues of the herding stick. We let the girls out to free range almost daily. Using the stick has made the round up extremely easy to control the direction and movement of our flock. During "Share the Run With The Little Ones" time, keeping "The Herding Stick" present helps the assimilation time remain non violent.

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Thats really cool!
    How did he learn to do that? did he have to some how train the chickens? How many chickens do you have?

I live in Sandwich MA cape cod too!!! [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have a stick, made of plastic, we call the evil stick. If for some reason I need to get my flocks back in their coops early all I have to do is pick up the stick. [​IMG]

4. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    A friend has a fish net that would send the flock scurry back to the safety of the coop.

5. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I used a broom with my guineas. Boy, did they give me a hard time.

6. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Nice! [​IMG]

Ours are never out without my DH or I (or both) being with them. Too dang many loose dogs in our area and that doesn't even account for the large population of nature predators. So ours will generally follow us where we go, so if we walk into the run, they come with us. The run is as secure as the coop once we shut the door, so we don't have to direct them further.

7. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I just call them and they all come a running to me!

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    AMEN to the stick [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  9. geekgurl

geekgurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    My bird's brains must have grown overnight because today was the first day my little flock disrespected the stick. They figured out they can go ahead of the stick and then around it. Stinky little hens! [​IMG]. Took me forever to get them into the run.

10. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    I use an old pool net. I don't 'net' them, just 'encourage' them. They will climb in my lap for mealworms, but then I have a lap full of chickens that don't necessarily want to go in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by