1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Respiraatory Disease?? Help ASAP! :'(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PepsNick, Nov 5, 2010.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Pepper is 7 months old and has been laying for 2 weeks today. Today I went out and picked her up and my friend noticed she spit up just a little. But doesn't that mean when you pick up a chicken and it drools like that it has a disease?? I've lost 2 others to this. I'm EXTREMLEY (can't spell that) worried. love this girl, we are so close and if she dies, I'm done with chickens- forever. It'll be my 5th loss in a year. What does she have?? She's laying normally everyday and I've never seen this happen before. Tomorrow I'm cleaning out the coop big time.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. barred rock, 7 months, weight-- normal?
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. normal
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? one day as far as i know
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? not that i know of
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. she spit up just a little
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. not sure, haven't been home until it happened.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. normal
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? none
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? would like to treat myself, but if i have to go to a vet i will
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. dont
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. normal straw, house is a wooden small house shared with three other chickens 5 x 3

Thank you! PLEASE help! Any info would be GREAT!

2. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Typically if you pic up a bird who just drank alot it will spit it back Up this is definatly not a sign of sickness. Do you see any bubbles around the eyes? any Runny nose? Does her breath smell horrid? if your theory is based on the little spill of liquid alone I would say theres no problem you just caught it after a big thirsty drink.

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:X2

4. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    I was going to say the same thing. Probably just drank and you accidentally squeezed a little out. Watch closely for all the aforementioned things though like nasal drainage and poop. Extremely is extreme and then add an -ly. I have words like that too. I spelled weird wrong for about 20 years. I'm not sure if that is even right---wierd or weird. Hmmmm I think it's weird, or strange. I think I'll go with strange!

ETA Now strange doesn't even look like a word!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  5. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Thanks y'all. But she hadn't been drinking, because she was asleep on her roost when I woke her up. So what do you think it is? I'll go run out and pick her up and see if she does it again.

OK, I'm back from outside. MMPoultryFarms- she didn't spit up this time. and no runny nose, smelly breath, or bubbles around the eyes. BUT she has fowl pox. a few on her watt;es on a few on her comb. but how do i tell if it's wet or dry?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by