Respiratory Acidosis treatment

Jan 10, 2022
I was told that my pullet had respiratory acidosis, then another is doing the same thing. They aren't lethargic eating and drinking and acting normal. Just this gurgling and kinda like a cough but not like I've ever heard before.

It's hot here, and they have plenty of shade and fans on them. Water is being changed and have electrolytes. Anything I can do?

Did a vet tell you that? Acidosis is when there are high carbon dioxide levels in the arterial blood. Unless someone ran a blood gas on your chicken, it would be hard to decide that. But most respiratory distress could cause it. In chickens we worry if they have symptoms of gurgling, rales or crackles, wheezes, gasping or gaping. Other signs of a respiratory infection or disease are nasal drainage, bubbles or foam in one or both eyes, sneezing or coughing. Also if her crop is not emptying normally overnight, she might be getting crop contents or liquid coming back up into the throat causing gurgles. Check her crop now, and then again in early morning to see if it is empty, full, hard, or puffy soft. If you see any nasal drainage or bubbles in eyes, an antibiotic such as Tylan 50 or Tylosin can be used.

Did a vet tell you that? Acidosis is when there are high carbon dioxide levels in the arterial blood. Unless someone ran a blood gas on your chicken, it would be hard to decide that. But most respiratory distress could cause it. In chickens we worry if they have symptoms of gurgling, rales or crackles, wheezes, gasping or gaping. Other signs of a respiratory infection or disease are nasal drainage, bubbles or foam in one or both eyes, sneezing or coughing. Also if her crop is not emptying normally overnight, she might be getting crop contents or liquid coming back up into the throat causing gurgles. Check her crop now, and then again in early morning to see if it is empty, full, hard, or puffy soft. If you see any nasal drainage or bubbles in eyes, an antibiotic such as Tylan 50 or Tylosin can be used.
I hear gurgling and she coughs. Would Tynan be appropriate? And would that be an injection for either Tynan 50 or Tylosin?

Back
Top Bottom