Respiratory Ailment

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bingo, May 12, 2008.

1. bingo

bingo New Egg

May 12, 2008
    Hello,

On Saturday afternoon my wife took our rooster to the vet for wheezing symptoms and a very weak morning crow sound (symptoms for 2 days). The vet put him down since he was obviously in distress. Saturday night I checked the other birds and one of the hens was making a gurgling sound while inhaling and exhaling. I put her down that night. Both chickens appeared otherwise healthy in terms of weight, stool and behavior. We're now left with 2 hens that appear, today, to be free of the symptoms. One of the hens had been sitting on a clutch of eggs and I stopped that, not wanting to introduce chicks into the problem. The birds are free range and share the pasture and shelter with our goats. The reading I've done leads me to believe that it could be viral, bacterial or possibly worms. Without knowing for sure, it's difficult to know that the disease has run it's course. My plan is to clean up and sterilize their roosting area and not bring any additional birds in for a few months. Sound reasonable? Am I missing anything?

2. ChinaChicks1

ChinaChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    NE Oklahoma
    well you have to understand that it is either viral or bacterial. As far as your biosecurity measures go, you are doing the right thing by sanitizing. If you plan on bringing other birds into your existing flock, make sure you have a quarentine area away from them and keep them in it for at least 30 days and treat them for any possible diseases, lice/mites, etc. Difficult to say, but more likely bacterial..possibly CRD. You can go HERE
    and read more about it.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    So sorry your birds were ill - it's hard to see them in distress. I'm surprised the vet didn't suggest first trying an antibiotic typically used for respiratory ailments, as the symptoms could have been from something fixable (a temporary respiratory infection). Offing them may not have been necessary but now that they are dead, if you are able to have a necropsy done you'll know a lot more re: your remaining birds. I hope everyone else will be fine.
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by