Respiratory Disease and new chickens??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by unix_micki, Sep 15, 2011.

1. unix_micki

unix_micki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    General question I am curious about...

My flock is going through a respiratory disease currently and being treated for it.

If/when I want new chickens next year how would one go about doing that?? Is there a vaccine I can give the new hens?? I will seperate for 30 days but don't want the new hens to go through this. Anyone else have experience with this??

Thx

2. peepsncheeps

peepsncheeps Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    as far as i know from 3 previous incedents, its all about the season's, housing, bedding, and so on, im sure your vet explained it.
    well i have never had a problem introducing new birds after the others were better for at least 2 weeks, and the house cleened from top to bottom. but i would be hesitant to introduce new stock while the old stock is sick. it olny takes one week chook to pick up some dander or get a spot of mucous from an infected chook and you have a new patiant to care for.
    sigh, it was tough yaka giving 19 chickens antibiotics twice a day. good luck hope this was ok.

3. unix_micki

unix_micki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    I would never introduce new flock while i am going through this hell right now [​IMG]

my meds will be here today and not quick enough.....have to use tylan 50 on 32 birds today....going to be a long day, come fedex truck!!

I am going to get this flock better and get some new ones next year.....

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There are several respiratory illnesses, both bacterial and viral, that make the seemingly recovered birds carriers. They will infect the new birds, if that is the case. You have to know what they have and what you are vaccinating for and even then, not sure how much good it will do. Could be Coryza, a form of Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD)/mycoplasmosis, Infectious Bronchitis or any number of things. You have to know the specific disease you are vaccinating for or you are wasting your money and time.

"a respiratory disease" is far too general for anyone to be able to advise you. You haven't mentioned the symptoms to give us any clue as to if it's bacterial, viral or fungal (antibiotics won't do anything for those, of course, nor will they change a carrier status of a bacterial disease). Fungal was a big issue with many folks this summer and not contagious, but you must know for sure that's what it was by the circumstance surrounding it and the symptoms.

This is my thread on fungal infections for future reference: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=560301

If
    they have a carrier disease, they will never actually be better, is what I'm trying to say. They may be asymptomatic, but still carriers, and able to infect any new ones that come along.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by