Respiratory Disease? Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shawna89, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Shawna89

Shawna89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Stamping Ground, Ky
    Chick who is about 2 months old is sneezy, rattley, and has clear nasal discharge. Now my roo is having trouble crowing from the rattling and some hens of mine are getting sick. I think it's respiratory disease! The temp has dropped from sunny 60's to about mid 40's and cold rain, maybe had an impact on them? How can I treat this?
    I used gave penicillin to my whole flock, will this take care of the disease? Or do I need something else? It's only been a day and I see no results and I am freaking out! Should I give them more? My poor chickens [​IMG]

2. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    You need to do penecillin for at least 10 days, but it may not help. Do not stop now, you will just make the bacteria resistant to penecillin. Once you're done with that you might try duramycin.

3. Jessicalynn927

Jessicalynn927 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    Adair County, Kentucky
    My chickens are just getting over that I gave them Tylan 50 injections and it works wonders. My turkey was the worst she was actually throwing up mucus it looked like and I gave her a injection once a day for three days and she was better with in a week.

4. Shawna89

Feb 3, 2011
    Stamping Ground, Ky
    It is Dura-Pen for cattle and can be used in poultry as well. I will have to get something else

5. Shawna89

Feb 3, 2011
    Stamping Ground, Ky
    The what is the treatment with the Tylan 50 injections? Is it one shot a day for how long?

6. RBahmer

RBahmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I was just wondering what the dosage is for tylan 50 and where would you inject it? Thanks

7. Jessicalynn927

Sep 13, 2011
    Adair County, Kentucky
    when I first got the tylan 50 I was scared on overdosing my chickens, I googled it and for the size of my chickens there adult I gave them 1/3 cc and I injected it at the base of the neck, it said you could inject in the breast but for me because I have never done it before I thought it would be safer giving a shot at the base of the neck. What I did was part the feathers at the base of the neck and I wiped it with alcohol and I pinched the skin and injected under the skin you dont have to push too far in it as long as it was under the skin its fine. Before I did this I was giving my chickens duramycin and for a little over a week and it didnt seem to be helping them that much and my hen turkey was getting worse and I stopped giving them duramycin and gave them tylan and it was like a wonder drug for my chickens and turkey lol

8. Jessicalynn927

Sep 13, 2011
    Adair County, Kentucky
    I gave them 1/3 cc once a day for 3 days

9. RBahmer

Thank you so much Jessicalynn927. This is all new to me. I have given many shots in my time but never to a bird. I didn't even realize you could give a bird a shot until a friend of mine told me. I I use Tylan 50 on my sheep so I have that on hand. Will try that. Again, thank you.

10. RBahmer

Oh ya, I have been using Duramycin also and it hasn't helped at all. Will try Tylan.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by