1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Respiratory Disease that causes chickens eyes to shut

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RennieFamily, Jul 30, 2014.

1. RennieFamily

RennieFamily Hatching

Jan 7, 2014
    Hi there,

I am in need of some direction. I started my flock 2 years ago, everything was going great, UNTIL we purchased some baby pheasants this spring, which turned out to have some sort of a disease that caused 13 out of the 20 to die. Symptoms started as sneezing & coughing that sounded filled of mucus, then their eyes started to swell and seal shut. I have been dealing with this for the past 3 months, because as soon as I think that it's under control one of my breeding stock chickens gets it. PLEASE help me, I am really trying to figure out what disease causes there eyes to shut and have severe mucus build up then die....

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE help with info.

The Rennie Family

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member 9 Years

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Here's a list of respiratory diseases in poultry: Take a look at Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) and Infectious Coryza.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps034

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  4. welasharon

welasharon Songster

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Coryza smells like warm ripe road kill.

5. dawg53

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Fresh road kill mmmmmm! [​IMG]

6. RennieFamily

RennieFamily Hatching

Jan 7, 2014
    Thank- you very much! I definitely think its CORYZA. Unfortunately. I have separated the birds into sick, recovering, and monitoring before going back into the flock. I really appreciate all the links and information, it makes a huge difference knowing what I'm up against rather than stabbing in the dark!

[​IMG] Heather R

7. welasharon

welasharon Songster

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Good luck. I decide to cull my hen. I burned all the stuff I could and disinfected the rest...but I only had to one hen involved so it wasn't as traumatic a decision. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. It sucks.

8. welasharon

welasharon Songster

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Dawg...it's that smell you get under your motorcycle helmet that lasts longer than you can hold your breath.

9. dawg53

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Aint that the truth!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: